Easy (and Fun) Ways for LV Students to Make a Difference!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

“ We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give”—Winston Churchill.

Churchill encapsulates life’s goals. Having the means and ability to help others is really what life is about. But sometimes it’s difficult to find ways to make a difference when you’re a broke college student!

Here are a few charities and events that La Verne students can participate in to make a difference in a very fun way!

1.     The Elephant Pants

The Elephant Pants is an online shop with absolutely beautiful pants and leggings with elephant patterns! When purchasing a pair of pants, you are ALSO saving elephants! A portion of the proceeds goes towards different programs, such as the Rangers Program, which greatly aid in the fight against poaching.

You essentially get a work of art to wear as well as save a beautiful and majestic animal. ( I mean I may be a little biased because my favorite animal)

2.      Relay for Life La Verne/Claremont Event

If hands on supporting is more you’re thing, then you should definitely support the Relay for Life event this April 23rd! The HerCampus La Verne group has our own team! Anyone can join the team and participate in the walk, or you could donate to the cause on our team page! It is supposed to be an amazing event with fun activities throughout the day!

For more information, feel free to email the HerCampusLV Team Captains!

Brooke : brooke.grasso@laverne.edu

Taylor: taylor.distelrath@laverne.edu

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?px=42516552&pg=personal&fr_id=73810

Team page! http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?fr_id=73810&pg=team&team_id=2014012

3.     On Campus Opportunities!

The Integrated Business Program has 10 groups of undergraduate students who are selling products and supporting different charities! 100 PERCENT of the profits made from each group will go directly to the charity chosen by each group. Here are a few just to get an idea of what is available:

•  Bi-Fit Armbands- Charity: American Cancer Society

These armbands are perfect for working out and support an amazing cause!

For more information check out this group’s instagram page at @bifitulv

• Fitly- Charity: Be Perfect Foundation

This business group sells shirts with the “Fitly” logo on it in support of the Be Perfect Foundation. This foundation aids individuals with paralysis with medical costs. These shirts are insanely comfortable and come in different colors!

Interested in helping a worthy cause? Find out more information by emailing: Fitly2016@gmail.com

• Shades for Hope- Charity: City of Hope

Shades for Hope is a group that sells unique wooden sunglasses in support of one of the nation’s leading cancer hospitals, City of Hope! They are super trendy and there are different designs. You should definitely check them out on instagram at @shadesforhope if you are interested!

• Safe Side- Charity: AAA Foundation

Ever drop anything between your seat? SafeSide’s Never Drops help fight distracted driving by making sure you are never reaching under your seat. All proceeds go to victims of distracted driving accidents through the AAA foundation. Check out @safesideulv for more info.

There are so many worthy causes out in the La Verne community and beyond. And while it can be hard to spare a few, especially as a college student, there is no greater joy than helping those less fortunate!

Just find a foundation or group that speaks to you, and as Churchill says, make a life. 

Taylor is a psychology major (and a One Direction enthusiast) attending the University of La Verne in Southern California. When she isn't studying, you can find her reading and binge-watching Peaky Blinders or The Resident.