College dorming: A giant sleepover with a whole bunch of girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Are you considering dorming next year? Ever wonder what it’s like living on an all-womens floor? Maybe you’ve considered the idea but never really gave much thought to it because you don’t know much about it. Dorming is a great way to enter college, it allows friendships to form effortlessly and gives you freedom. Yes, real freedom. Here, you’ll find a simple list of why dorming on an all-womens floor is for you and actual information coming from someone who’s experienced it!

1.Friendship

Entering college with few to no friends is terrifying. You don’t have a clue as to what to expect except what your teachers have told you. Not having someone by your side through the whole process of getting settled in and used to a whole new school and system can be quite stressful. With dorming on an all-girls floor, you’ve got girls going through the same thing as you and are looking for friends. To make it even better, they live with you, so it’s easy to make that connection!

2. Floor Programs

What are these? In a nutshell, you and your floor mates get together to talk and bond over games, food, anything. The residents get to think of an event they would like to do and the RA plans it, everyone then comes together and it’s literally the best time ever. My floor has done face masks before the term started to release stress, a Bob Ross paint night with sparkling cider and cheese, and many other programs! Basically, it’s a girls night in!

3. Drama-free

Okay, okay. So you’re probably thinking, and all girls floor must have a lot of drama. Our floor has had the least amount of drama you could ever imagine. Visiting other multi-gender floors makes me realize how lucky I am to get along SO well with my floormates!

4. Having an RA

An RA is a Resident Assistant, they are students as well but they are hired to live on your floor to monitor the residents. Going into college, you know nothing. I had a ridiculous amount of questions for a good month. I had no idea where my classes were, how the dining hall worked, what blackboard was, how to email professors, how to sign up for classes. Thankfully, my RA helped me answer all of these questions. The best part is, they are trained to answer questions like these, so they are your most reliable source. Not only are they your go-to for help, but they help regulate the rules and maintain peace…meaning quiet hours especially! Living with all women, we keep our kitchen and bathrooms pretty clean and tidy because let’s face it…guys can be slobs sometimes.

5. Getting Involved

It’s SO easy to get involved on campus because, 1. You don’t have to worry about driving back and forth for events or clubs and 2. You won’t have to go alone because chances are, your girlfriends want to check the scene out too. Being able to go to dance parties, sporting events, free food events, and club activities with your girls is so much more fun than going alone…and a lot less scary too!

Dorming on an all-girls floor creates a non-judgemental, compassionate, and fun environment! It is an experience that allows women to empower other women.