Checking Off My Bucket List during Spring Break!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

I don’t know about you but I have had a bucket list taped to the wall in my childhood room.I was able to check off a few travel destinations thanks to studying abroad here at ULV, but this spring break I was able to cross out a HUGE bucket list experience: SKYDIVING.

So if you’ve always wanted to go, but don’t know if its for you, DON’T WORRY! I’ll tell you all about it!

So I made a reservation at SkyDive San Diego and checked the weather all throughout the week. I honestly didn’t feel the nerves until we parked in the super packed parking lot with loads of colorful dots falling from the air!!

First, I had to sign my life away  (I honestly didn’t read a single paragraph because I did not want to psych myself out)

They have you pay for your jump and then escort you to the training area. I was expecting this huge, strenuous training session, but honestly all they did was show us how to lean like a banana when we jump lol.

Finally, they call your name to get you in a harness. They strap you up and then you wait for your group’s flight! You get assigned a jumper as well as a photographer (if you paid for that package) and the next thing you know, you’re walking to the small plane to fly up to 13,500 feet!

Once I was seated in the plane, I definitely started to feel the nerves. I honestly was shaking so hard that my photographer had to buckle me in himself, because I was useless ahahaha.

While the plane keeps flying higher and higher, my tandem partner motioned for me to sit in his lap so that he could strap me to him. This part was super reassuring because honestly you are so tightly strapped into your partner that when he moves, you move.

Looking out of the plane was honestly insane and then BAAAM! They open the freaking door for the jump. Unbeknownst to me, I was seated RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE DOOR. So once it was open, the wind just pushed me back. Fortunately my 5 foot self didn’t have to do much because the guy strapped behind me did all the moving. Before I knew it, he jumped FOR us and we were free falling!

The free fall lasted 60 seconds, but it felt like a lifetime. Personally, I wasn’t the biggest fan of the free fall because you can’t breathe at all hahaha, at least I could not. Once my guy deployed the parachute, though, it was absolutely BREATHTAKING. It was the most freeing and beautiful flight down and the landing was so so smooth.

I wish that part could last for hours-that’s how incredible 

ALSO, i went completely on my own; none of my friends wanted to take that leap out of a plane. BUT, I was still with a group up in the air and it was honestly totally fine. I didn’t even notice the lack of friends with me, because I was so consumed with myself that it totally doesn’t matter!

I hope you all had a wonderful Spring Break, and that you check off those bucket list items soon!

Taylor is a psychology major (and a One Direction enthusiast) attending the University of La Verne in Southern California. When she isn't studying, you can find her reading and binge-watching Peaky Blinders or The Resident.