Campus Celebrity: Shane Rodrigues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Name: Shane Rodrigues AKA the Happy Hawaiian, AKA “Insane Shane” on LeoFM

Hometown: Originally from Pukalani, Maui, Hawaii; now Claremont, CA

Year Graduated/Major Studied at ULV:  19??… LOL 1994; Broadcasting with a TV Emphasis

Describe yourself in three words: Happy, Hawaiian, Hungry,… can I add a 4th? “Churned!”

Personal motto? Being Early is Being on Time, Being on Time is Being Late, Being Late is Churning Shane!

Position(s) on campus and responsibilities? Broadcast Operations Manager, Radio/TV Department & LeoFM Radio, LVTV (La Verne Community Television) and KWST (San Dimas Community Television; Instructor: TV325 Multi Camera TV Production; Adviser: Kanaka Hui Ohana (ULV’s Hawaiian Club); Chair, Classified Committee; Committee Member, ULV Budget Information Group & ULV Safety Committee.

I oversee the day to day operations of the Radio/TV Department; check in/out equipment students; fix and install equipment; let students into edit rooms and radio studios; assist students in classes and in the edit rooms and radio studios; supervise student workers; assist faculty; go to meetings; lead meetings; make sure the stations are on the air and functioning properly. Also give student advice on their career and help them get internships & work experience and eventually see them through graduation and then help them find a job in their chosen field.

On weekends and weeknights you can see me supervising a TV crew of fifteen covering events in the city of La Verne and on campus (football, baseball, softball, volleyball, basketball and soccer games). The students in my class produce and direct these shows while the other TV classes fill in as crew running camera, capturing sound, doing replay, graphics, laying cable, setting up lights and announcing it. The sporting events live stream throughout the Leopard Athletics website and are rebroadcasted on LVTV and KWST.

You’re a friendly face around the communications department and you get along with the students really well. What’s your favorite part about being at ULV? I love working with the students on TV productions, labs or LeoFM events; inside and outside the classroom; and eventually see them succeed in the “real world.” Seeing them on air; working behind the scenes, hearing them on air… that puts a smile on my face :-)

What was it like being named Greek Advocate of the Year? I was shocked both years! It is an honor to be the Greek Advocate of the Year.

Other hobbies/activities? You’ll find me supporting Leopard Athletics as well as University of Hawaii Athletics (gotta support the team) I also do some Leopard photography as a hobby of volleyball, soccer, basketball, football, softball, baseball and track and field. I come out and support the students who I know play these sports and photograph them. They have access to these photos. I had a LV parent once told me, “Brit says you haven’t come out to any of the games yet…” I replied, “Things are quite busy but I’m here now and will be throughout the season.” I like to go hiking, to the beach, desert, and mountains; road trips, TV Tapings, Vegas; watching TV; going to Mariah Carey concerts (my favorite artist), and other concerts; eating at Food Trucks, AYCE Korean BBQ and AYCE sushi or just eating in general… LOL.  I also do some videography on the side too. Sleeping and Chillin’ in the pool are fun too :-) Spending time with the Ohana and friends… Ohana means family, family means no one gets left behind…

Your Instagram is filled with images of your food adventures. Here are some food related questions:

Top 3 favorite places to eat? Wang Cho’s Korean BBQ in Chino; AYCE Sushi Bars (Show Sushi, Sushi Takumi, Sho Sushi; and the late Sushi Cruise); Pinnacle Peak (San Dimas) and to take the edge off 21 Choices…

Favorite flavor at 21 Choices? Saucy Sailor – LC Started me on this craze! Thanks Little :-)

When’s the best time to go to Donut Man? After the dentist… (laughs) let me explain, my dentist is west of Donut Man. So after my dentist, and on my way back to work, I grab a box of Donut Man and bring them back for my student workers.
Kristina Bugante is the Campus Correspondent for HC La Verne. She is currently finishing her final year at the University of La Verne and will receive a B.A. in journalism in the spring of 2016. In addition to Her Campus, Kristina is a staff photographer for her school's publications and a news intern for a Los Angeles television news station. When she's not living and breathing journalism, Kristina likes funny Vines, food, catching up on her YouTube subscriptions and singing quietly to herself in her car.