6 Things You Should Know about the Sochi Olympics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

1. The Sochi Olympics has an estimated cost of $51 billion – the most expensive Olympic Games ever.

2. Awful living conditions for media and staff initially occurred in hotels near the Olympic Park. Problems included complications with the water and unfinished fixtures.

3. The weather just does not want to cooperate – spring weather in Sochi has affected the skiing and snowboarding events causing many to eat snow. Most recently, fog on Monday caused a delay in biathlon and snowboard events.

4. Charlie White & Meryl Davis are the first Americans to win gold in ice dancing and set records for their short program and free dance. The two have been partners for 17 years and have rivaled Canadians Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir (now Sochi silver medalists) for several years.

5. Bode Miller became the oldest medalist in Olympic alpine history. After tying for bronze, Miller emotionally broke down when asked about his recently deceased brother during an interview with NBC’s Christin Cooper.

6. U.S. speed skaters did poorly in each of their events – bad enough for the team to switch from their official new Olympic Under Armour suits to the previous ones. Skaters like Shani Davis hoped that switching suits would improve his performance, but clearly that has not happened yet.

Image Source: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/internet/3500861/how-watch-winter-olympics-live/

Hayley Hulin is a junior journalism major at the University of La Verne, but is taking her studies abroad this fall semester to rainy England. While she isn't studying, Hayley will be writing for her university blog, HC and Darling Magazine about traveling, experiencing new things and eating great food! Once finished with her fall adventure, Hayley is excited to reunite with her Phi Sigma Sigma sisters, Renew Christian Club and family.