This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

If you’re like me, you have untouched, natural colored hair. My hair is personally dark brown. Throughout my high school and college years, I have wanted to change things up without chopping off my hair. Below are some awesome products and DIY methods to color or lighten your hair without bleaching or much permanence.

Manic Panic Classic High Voltage Hair Color $10-$15

One of the first products I ever tried was Manic Panic. This is a natural, vegan, temporary hair dye cream. You apply it to clean, dry hair, comb it through, leave in for 30 minutes, and rinse it out. I have used this in three colors: voodoo blue, purple haze, and vampire red. The red lasts the longest I have noticed. Also beware: this will dye your hands and shower. I recommend getting a friend to help. This product is very messy and some colors don’t last long enough for it to be worth it but it’s definitely fun on the hair. This brand has tons and tons of color options. The cover photo of this article is actually a collage of my hair using three colors by Manic Panic!

L’Oreal Paris Colorista Hair Makeup $6

If you really don’t like commitment, you will love Loreal Colorista temporary day. It lasts one to two shampoos. You can apply it with no gloves and it rinses right off. I would compare it to liquid hair chalk as it dries quickly and feels a little dry on the hair. I love that it is shimmery and doesn’t transfer onto clothes once dry. It’s definitely a great option for festivals or Halloween. I used the color raspberry10. 

Lush Henna Hair Dye $28

A really great option to dye and improve the health of your hair is to use Lush’s henna! You can even get it done in store. There are different undertones suitable for different hair colors. It is definitely more work than some other options but it does work well. It brings out the hairs undertones and looks very natural and shiny.

The Old-Fashioned Ways $1

There are some age-old ways to lighten the hair using the sun as a reactant. Two effortless sun-in options are lemon juice and beer. Also spraying and rinsing the hair with chamomile tea is a great way to bring out some brightness and shininess in the hair. I have been doing a random combination of these and have seen some slight changes but these methods are more gradual. 

Overtone Products $18

The last option, which I have not tried yet, is Overtone conditioner. The name is pretty self-explanatory. This option also requires minimal effort as it simply a hair dyeing conditioner that builds up color over time. They also have a deep conditioning treatment. According to reviews, it does dye the hands easily. My personal plan is to use lemon juice on my hair to lighten it, thus creating a better base for the Overtone color.

These options all range from different prices and effort. They are great for all hair types and color. Hopefully you find one you like and add some pizazz to your hair!

I have been vegetarian/pescatarian for over 3 years. I am an aspiring yoga instructor and make acai bowls at work on my days off of school:)