3 Things to Know About Title IX at ULV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Title IX protects all students from experiencing any kind of sex discrimination during their college experience.

Title IX is something that everyone should know about. This 42-year-old amendment does not just help women athletes get fair treatment, it also protects all students from any kind of sex discrimination in education. While there is so much to learn about Title IX, here are a few quick facts about this law that protects you everyday: 

1. Title IX does not just affect female students

A common misconception about Title IX is that it is a law that only affects female athletes. In reality, it protects male and female students from any type of sexual discrimination within their education. This includes allowing males and females to participate in any type of campus activities, educational programs or athletics without facing sexual discrimination.

2. Title IX protects all students against sexual assault and sexual harassment

At the University of La Verne, Title IX goes into action in order to make sure that the behavior stops, ensure it does not happen again and works to make the victim whole. This is as long as the acts are reported. All campus staff, administrators and faculty are required to report incidents that are discussed with them.

3. There are safe spaces to talk on campus

Both the Interfaith Chaplain, Zandra Wagoner, and the staff at the counseling center are required to keep all information private when discussing any kind of sexual harassment, discrimination or violence. While these two outlets must report that an incident occurred for university records, they are not able to release names or details without permission. Any other staff, professor or administrator must report the situation in detail for an investigation to follow.

Kellie Galentine can be reached at kelliegalentine@hercampus.com or on Twitter @kellie_gal

Kellie Galentine is a journalism major at the University of La Verne in California. She is a campus correspondent for Her Campus at La Verne and is one of the founders of her campus' chapter. Kellie is also a member of Sigma Kappa Sorority.