samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Tips for a Successful Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Salle chapter.

Sweaty hands, nervous gitters, tight stomach, anxiety, these are feelings we have experienced before during a job interview. To help you prepare I will be outlining a few easy to remember tips for nailing your first, and hopefully the rest that follow.

Wake Up Early

Waking up early gives you the best advantage, especially on an interview day. This also provides the chance to prepare ahead of time to eat a full breakfast, layout clothes, prepare for any additional notes, and to arrive at the interview destination on time. By waking up early, there is no need to rush which gives you more than enough time to focus, which is helpful for a successful turnout.

Dress to Impress

When attending an interview, it is very important to present yourself well and the best way to do so is through your clothing. If you want to dress to impress, never wear sweats! It is very unpleasing and unprofessional to wear casual clothing. An interview is very professional and is the time to show your best self, so why not wear your best clothes. When you look good, you feel good which is exactly how you want to feel the day of an interview. Also, by looking presentable, it shows your character and gives the interviewer insight into the kind of employee you can potentially be. Some examples of clothes you might want to wear to an interview can be slacks, khakis, button up shirts, etc.

Positive Affirmations

As mentioned before, the days leading up to an interview can be very overwhelming. When going into an interview, it is important to have composure and present yourself confidently. One way of doing so are positive affirmations. Positive affirmations are sayings which boosts confidence and gives encouragement. Some positive affirmations include sayings such as “I can do this”, I am confident”, I will succeed in all things I do”, etc. By reassuring yourself it will help easy any anxiety and will put you in a better headspace.

Body Language & Eye Contact

During an interview, the content of your answers are not the only factors being noticed and taken into account. Body language and eye contact also play a role in having a successful interview. While being interviewed, it is important to have good posture and to make sure to sit up straight and not slouch. It is also important to maintain good eye contact during the interview because it shows how engaged and invested you are in the conversation.

Ask Questions

Once the interview is over, usually the interviewer will ask if you have any questions. Most people disregard this part of an interview and say no thank you, but I am here to tell you don’t pass up this part. Asking questions are a good way of showing your interest in the job and how serious you are about it. Additionally, this is a great way to show that you have done additional research which is very impressive.

Send Gratitude

After leaving, it is important and polite to show appreciation for being granted the time to have an interview. Many institutions are very grateful for candidates who reach out after, although it does not guarantee a job it demonstrates professionalism.

Now that you know some tips to carrying out a successful interview, you should be set! Before I close out, here is a quote I live by “You are your only limit”. Now ready, set, interview!

-By, Debra Barskdale

La Salle ’19