Surviving the Weeks Leading up to Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Salle chapter.

The stress and anxiety that comes along with the deadlines, papers, and exams escalate as finals week approaches. Finding the motivation to finish out strong is difficult because this is when many students are beginning to burn out. Here are some tips on how to finish the semester strong academically, mentally and physically.

1. Take time for yourself. Do something that makes you feel re-energized. This could be as simple as a face mask, painting your nails, taking yourself out to eat, etc. This is helpful when you are feeling overwhelmed because it can help to make you feel refreshed, and ready to be productive.

1. Get enough sleep. Getting enough sleep is essential for retaining information and performing your best academically. According to the National Sleep Foundation, sleep depravity is comparable to driving with 0.8% blood alcohol in relation to your cognitive ability. It is recommended for young adults to get between seven and nine hours of sleep each night.

1. Set small goals. It can be overwhelming when you have a million things to do especially if you are trying to get everything done at once. Try making a list of what you need to do in order of what is due first. This will help you to plan out your schedule and pace yourself by getting things that are due sooner done first.

1. Try a change of scenery. Some people may be more productive when in a different setting. Find a coffee shop, bookstore or library nearby. Being around other people that are being productive may motivate you to do the same. Try it out and see!

When the realization of how much work I have to get done hits me and I start to feel overwhelmed, I try to remind myself of how blessed I am to be getting a college education. The reality is, college is not a luxury that everyone is able to have. Reminding myself of this helps to put things into perspective and gives me a reminder to be grateful for this amazing opportunity.

Lastly, you should be incredibly proud of yourself for all of the hard work and dedication that you have put in these past few months and throughout your college career. It is an amazing accomplishment to have made it as far as you have. I hope you will find these tips helpful as finals week approaches!

Deja McCleary

La Salle '20

Deja is a junior Nursing major originally from Maryland. She is involved in several different activities on campus. She enjoys writing and journaling as a creative outlet.
Jessica is a student athlete Communication Major at La Salle University, with concentrations in Public Relations and Communication Management. Along with being a member of the track team, she contributes as an intern and author for Double G Sports, and is a campus correspondent for Her Campus. In her career future, she hopes to work with a Public Relations team for and established sports figure or another well known organization.