This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Salle chapter.

One of the biggest trends going on in the world right now are; lashes. The sight of the fluttery lashes when a girl blinks has other girls driving to the closest lash bar or lash person they know. Why wouldn’t they? No more mascara ruining eyeshadow, or mascara getting everywhere when you rub your eyes. It also means spending less time getting ready in the morning, allowing you more time to sleep in. What people do not know is that you can receive this beauty procedure here on campus. Many are learning the ways of becoming a lash beautician but only a few provide people with what they want. Here on campus we have many new businesses, but one that stands out is Lash’d Out by Asada Sharif.

Lash’d Out started this year after Miss Sharif took summer lessons to become certified as a lash technician. She makes sure that her clients get the best service and are well taken care of. She tries to make her clients feel at home so that they don’t feel uncomfortable or awkward. As soon as you step into her room you can see her professionalism. She has her lights and eyelash stand set up, as well as a massage table where clients sit. She says, “People love my room because it smells like pumpkins!”

How did you get into lashes? And what made you start your business?

I became obsessed with the eyelash hash tag on Instagram. Ever since I was younger, I would go onto YouTube and watch videos. At first it was eyebrows but then it became eyelashes and I became obsessed. My aunt learned how to do eyelash extensions and then she taught me, and I’ve been doing them since. I didn’t think of it as a business at first, but I thought of it as a passion and a hobby. It was just something I liked to do, and it wasn’t until now that I started calling it a business. If I could I would do it for free, but I have to buy my material and everything else.

What does the lash service include?

It includes great customer service and my customers always say they love having me do their lashes. They love my room set and say it smells like pumpkins. I make them feel comfortable and at ease. For the actual service it is a full set or refill which you need to have a full set for. I don’t do refills for other people’s work as I don’t want to mess up other people’s work. For bad work I remove everything before doing anything. Full set is one false mink eyelash extension added to each individual eyelash.

Can you explain your slogan: Think. Blink. Mink.?

I chose it because think is to think about the positive and negative about eyelash extensions. I say this because I want you to think about whether it is for you or not. It’s all about you. Blink was added because it was a cute little thing, makes you excited. And mink is the eyelashes, which is real human hair.

What sets you apart from other start up lash businesses?

I think what sets me apart is my personality. Honestly, I think I make people feel comfortable with me. I never make them feel like they don’t know what they’re going to get. I offer hospitality, and great customer service. I think I bring diversity to the table. One person said that she loved the diverse people I serve. I reach all types of ethnicities which is very important. They all have very different lashes which is great to work with.

What are some struggles you face being a black woman owned business?

So, I face a lot of other people of different ethnic backgrounds who ask me if I have my lash extension license. They question if I’m actually certified but if it was someone else they may not ask those questions. I also think that within my own race people see me and my business as more of a competition rather than building each other up. We should grow together and support each other.

What do lashes mean to you?

For girls the glam feel, it gives you spark of confidence. The thing I like about lashes is that girls who wear makeup like it but also girls who don’t wear it also feel good. Lashes enhances the beauty they already have, and it instills confidence.

You can follow Asada’s Lash Instagram at @lash_d.out

Ariadne Cortez

La Salle '20

I am an avid reader and writer of everything and anything. I am a major foodie, so I try to visit new restaurants whenever I get the chance. One of my favorite things to do is study different languages and learn how to speak them!
Tyller Moorer

La Salle '20

Tyller is a graduate student-athlete Communication: Journalism major and English minor from New Jersey. She has a passion for writing and enjoys seeing her writing touch other people.