I Meal Prepped for the First Time this Summer and I Totally Recommend It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Salle chapter.

I’ve always seen people on Twitter, usually vegans, vegetarians, or intense gym junkies, raving about meal prepping. Now, if you haven’t heard about meal prepping or don’t know what it is, I’ll offer some insight. According to Healthline.com, “Meal prepping is the concept of preparing whole meals or dishes ahead of schedule…having prepared meals on hand can also reduce portion size and help you reach your nutrition goals” I’ve never understood the significance of it nor, really cared to try it but, this summer I’ve been trying to “grow” and go out of my comfort zone.

On June 4th I started working at an internship in Manhattan, New York. Having to wake up extremely early in the morning, ride a train and subway to get to work, having to spend money on a monthly train pass, pay for parking at the station, and pay for a Metrocard, I was completely overspending money. I wanted to save as much money as possible and that included not eating out during my lunch breaks, which can add up on daily expenses.

I started my first meal prep off by preparing whole wheat pasta. I wasn’t sure how much pasta I would need to supply me for 5 days of lunch but, I figured I would wing it. I decided a whole bag of Simply Balanced Whole Wheat pasta would supply me for 5 days; 2 cups for each of my Tupperware, would help last me. I was wrong. I only had enough for 4 days but still, I could always prepare something light or grab a slice of pizza; after all, it was Friday, treat yourself. I also meal prepped my breakfast for the morning which also saves a lot of time and money when I’m rushing in the morning and prevents me from grabbing unhealthy snacks on the go.

Meal prepping was a super satisfying experience for me and took a lot of stress off of my shoulders for the rest of the week. I would cook and prep my meals, breakfast, and lunch, on Sunday that way Monday through Friday I only have to grab it out of the fridge and go!

Tyller Moorer

La Salle '20

Tyller is a graduate student-athlete Communication: Journalism major and English minor from New Jersey. She has a passion for writing and enjoys seeing her writing touch other people.
Jessica is a student athlete Communication Major at La Salle University, with concentrations in Public Relations and Communication Management. Along with being a member of the track team, she contributes as an intern and author for Double G Sports, and is a campus correspondent for Her Campus. In her career future, she hopes to work with a Public Relations team for and established sports figure or another well known organization.