Have the Opportunity to Travel Across the Pond? Study Abroad!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Salle chapter.

I have always wanted to travel to as many places as I possibly could. I love learning about different places in the world, trying new food, and simply being immersed in the culture. This past summer, I had the opportunity to study abroad and it was honestly the best opportunity I have ever received.

Generally, when thinking about studying abroad, students think of going for an entire semester. While La Salle does offer fall and spring study abroad options, they also offer summer programs. I was thrilled when I learned about this opportunity. I am a student-athlete and it would not be ideal to miss my whole season and I was not sure how I would feel about being away from my friends and family for three months at a time. The one month, summer option was perfect for me!

I chose to do my study abroad in Rome, Italy at, The American University of Rome. The application process includes, an essay, a meeting with financial aid, a meeting to go over classes you would want to take, and two letters of recommendation. I received my acceptance into the program toward the end of March and I honestly could not have been happier.

The school held two pre-departure meetings. One with only students that have been accepted into various study abroad programs; another was with students and parents, regarding tips for going abroad, money, packing, classes, culture, etc.

The months leading up to leaving were stressful for me. I wasn’t sure what I needed, despite all of the meetings that I had went to. I felt as if I didn’t have enough clothes. Needless to say, I over packed. Better to be over prepared rather than underprepared, right? I had packed notebooks for my classes and of course, my laptop. I brought about $500 with me in cash, which I thought would last me, I thought wrong.

Rome, essentially, isn’t expensive; but eating out every day definitely adds up. I made that mistake the first week I was there. My housemates and I were eating breakfast by the school, eating lunch during our breaks at school and also eating dinner out in the city. Those expenses added up quickly and we soon learned buying groceries and cooking was much more convenient! We would eat together as a house and have some of our friends come over and saved eating out for the weekends.

How immersed you become to the culture was my favorite part of the entire experience. Rome had become my home. I was an expert at taking public transportation, something I don’t use often in America. I was able to speak a little Italian when I was ordering in cafes or restaurants. I even had favorite restaurants and hang out spots that my friends and I loved to go to. 

Lastly, I made a lifelong friend while I was there. We did everything together, literally. We always wanted to explore the city, find new restaurants that we could try, and just have a great time. We still talk to this day and saw each other when we came back from Rome!

Needless to say, I could write about my experience and love for Italy all day. I had a great time abroad and find myself missing it and all of the new things I discovered every day. I will forever be grateful of the opportunity. Therefore, if you have the opportunity to go abroad, most definitely take it. You won’t regret it!! 

Tyller Moorer

La Salle '20

Tyller is a graduate student-athlete Communication: Journalism major and English minor from New Jersey. She has a passion for writing and enjoys seeing her writing touch other people.