This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Salle chapter.

Leaving home this summer to start my second year of college was rough. I spent many of my summer days with the people I loved most, my high school best friends. We would have pool days, campfires, and go shopping even though we were all just trying to get by. These days were so carefree, and I didn’t want them to end.

Going into my first year of college, I expected to talk with my friends all the time because that’s how it was throughout our four years at Biglerville High School. I was wrong. Our group barely texted or video chatted at all throughout the entire year. (My friend Bethany was the only one who I would touch base with every week) – you rock Beffie!!! This was really hard for me to accept because we used to tell each other every single thing that was going on in our lives, and it just stopped so suddenly. Even though I was bummed that we all didn’t talk as much anymore during our time at college, on breaks we would get together and pick up right where we left off. It wasn’t awkward at all, it was as if we hadn’t been apart for four months. I think this is when I realized that I can’t take the little amounts of time we get to spend together for granted.

This year, I came in with more reasonable expectations for maintaining my friendships from back home. I understand that everyone is super busy and doesn’t have copious amounts of time to talk everyday, and that’s okay. A group of us videochat every so often and send random texts in our group-chat on occasions. I’ve come to terms with the fact that even though we might not talk or text every minute of every day, they are always going to be my best friends who I can go to for anything. Now that I finally came to this realization, I am going to cherish the moments that I get to spend with them, make memories that will last a lifetime, and always remind them of how much their friendship means to me.

Just a small-town girl livin' in a not so lonely world. From Biglerville to Philly. Here to make a genuine change. La Salle University graduate.