element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Farther Apart, But Closer Than Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Salle chapter.

Let’s face it, no one wants to do long distance relationships. People are very quick to fear long distance and runaway. Men and women will always disagree on this topic. It’s almost as if they can never come to an even playing field and come up with a game plan about how it is they should go about it. Long distance is most certainly doable while taking the right precautions, having a plan set in mind, and putting in the same effort on both parts. 

Being able to maintain a relationship can be extremely challenging for some. Some people have been broken in the past and are a fearful of ever feeling that hurt again. Others have horrible trust issues that will constantly create more problems within their relationship. People need to understand that the purpose of a relationship is to grow deeper in the knowledge of both partners and to grow individually to prosper together. You are now a team and any adult- decision you make will now affect you and your partner. 

Therefore, when getting into a long-distance relationship there are a few things to consider. What do I mean by long distance? I am not advocating to always fulfill a long-distance relationship because you do need to enjoy the company of your partner. Let’s say you and your partner go to different universities in different states. For the time being you should be one hundred percent committed and faithful. You must understand that this is temporary and that in time you will both share a space and build a life together. Distance can be so good for you. Within the age range of 20-24, young adults are still mastering themselves. Still trying to create a future for themselves. No one is at their peek at this age. There is so much individual growth that you need to allow yourself to have that space. This will allow both of you to build a foundation that in the end will benefit your relationship. 

Communication is also a key factor when dealing with long distance. You need to be able to thoroughly communicate with your partner. If you have something that has been bothering you, express yourself! The only way to be able to come to an agreement is to keep each other in the loop. Anything left unsaid will ultimately hurt your relationship in the end. Some people aren’t as expressive of their emotions and they will use that as an excuse. However, you need to be able to be open to new things and allow another side of you to branch out. People in relationships can’t read each other’s minds and if they are miles apart you need to be consciousness of that and always keep it truthful and respected. Long distance is challenging but once you get through it, you’ll see how much more in love you and your partner will be and you’ll realize the sacrifice was so worth it.

Born in Colombia. Current Psychology Major.