5 Ways to Navigate Freshmen Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Salle chapter.

Navigating freshman year can be overwhelming and tricky. Between classes, clubs, and all of the events happening on campus it can be hard to keep up. Keep reading for a guide on how to manage all things freshman year!

Do Not Get Caught Up in Syllabus Week 

Syllabus week, aka “sylly week.” If you’re unfamiliar with what syllabus week is, I’ll explain it for you. 

Generally, especially for freshmen, it is a week where teachers go over the syllabus, let you out of class early, tell you the expectations for their class, and ease you into the course. Normally, there are minimal class assignments and no homework. 

With that being said, it’s a time where there are lots of parties, especially for La Salle. The sororities, the fraternities, the athletes, and basically anyone that has a townhouse or off-campus housing is throwing a party. Everyone is celebrating their last week of freedom before the hard work kicks in. 

Disclaimer: Going out every day of the week is not wise. The parties will always be there. Making a first impression on your teachers, on the other hand, will not. Going to class late, hungover or not at all is not the way you want your teachers to remember you. Instead, use that time to consider what the course is asking of you. Mark down any major papers, exams (mid-terms and finals) and quizzes that you might have. Although you aren’t receiving any work now, by the second week the work is coming at you fast and hitting you hard. 

Do Not Take an 8 a.m… Or Even an 8:30 a.m.

You’ve heard it time and time again and you’ll hear it once more from me…DO NOT take an 8 a.m. It absolutely is not the same as in high school. You might think you can wake up at 7 a.m. or even 7:30 am, if you’re light on breakfast, to sit in an hour and 10-minute lecture but the truth is, you can’t. You find yourself struggling to stay awake too much to even care, let alone retain what your professor is talking about. 

An extra 30 minutes of sleep will not help either. If you’re like me and like to get all of your classes out of the way in order to have your afternoons free, it is possible to do so without taking an 8 a.m. or an 8:30 am. 

There are benefits to not taking early morning classes. If you choose to go out on Thirsty Thursday, you can get that extra hour of sleep. Or if you’re out exploring the city until past midnight, it’s nice to know that you don’t have to wake up early for class. There are benefits even if you’re not going out. If you have a test the next morning you can wake up at 8 a.m. to study without having to worry about how you’re going to study in class! 

Here’s a way to get your classes out of the way without having to wake up super early to do so:

9:30 a.m. classes exist, and with a Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule you can finish all of your classes by 12:30! And with a Tuesday, Thursday schedule you can finish by 12:15! 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. classes are super beneficial and you don’t have to wake up ridiculously early in order to keep your afternoons free! It’s the perfect method to get all of your classes out of the way early. 

Take Advantage of Office Hours 

Office hours, office hours, office hours. It is a time taken out of your professor’s day for you to stop by and talk about any concerns, go over tests and quizzes, receive guidance on an upcoming paper, or to talk about how amazing their class is. 

I cannot stress enough how crucial it is that you build a relationship with your professors. It helps in the long run, as well. If you need a little extra credit to boost that 89 to a 90, need an extension on a paper, or want to re-do a paper that you didn’t completely understand, a professor is more inclined to do that for you if they see you’re making an effort. 

An effort means attending class, handing in assignments on time, participating, and like I said before, going to office hours. It is also significant in the future as well. If you need a recommendation for study abroad, help searching for and securing an internship, or landing a job, they are more likely to help you if you sustain a relationship with them. 

Go to the Activities Fair… And Actually Join the Activities

Maybe clubs were lame in high school, but they’re actually a vital part of your time at La Salle. 

At the beginning of each school year, La Salle hosts an activities fair in Tom Gola Arena/ Trumark Financial Center. It is where each and every club at La Salle creates posters explaining their club, what they do, and why you should join. They also have sign-up sheets for you to put down your La Salle email and receive information for it. There’s plenty to choose from, including multicultural clubs, academic clubs, honor societies, political organizations, club sports, sororities and so much more! 

Of course, that means there is literally a club for everyone. And if there isn’t a club that you see at La Salle and you want to create one, feel free to do that, too! Clubs introduce you to a ton of people that you would probably not cross paths with otherwise and make friends that are outside of your normal friend group. It is also a great way to gain leadership roles and build up your resume. 

Now that the activities fair has passed, make sure you’re checking your email for the clubs you signed up for letting you know about their first meetings! Many of them take this month of September to host events, train and welcome their new members. 

Make sure you’re attending meetings and events therefore, the E-board can get to know you and see that you’re an active member!

Relax, Stay Focused, Have Fun and Make Memories! 

College is all about growing into the woman that you are meant to be. You will grow physically, mentally, and if you believe so, spiritually. You’ll find your best friend within these four years and hey, maybe your soulmate. You’ll make a ton of memories with your girlfriends, in your classes, with your teammates, in the clubs you join and roaming around Center City. 

Aside from getting good grades, have as much fun as possible. Because it’s true what they say: These four years fly by, they are some of the best moments of your life, and you never get them back. 

Tyller Moorer

La Salle '20

Tyller is a graduate student-athlete Communication: Journalism major and English minor from New Jersey. She has a passion for writing and enjoys seeing her writing touch other people.