lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

You Think You Know, But You Don’t

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

You think that you know who you are, but, you don’t truly know the type of person. Of course, you know the basics, like your favorite color, food, music and style. What you don’t know about yourself is that you’re strong, determined and brave. You don’t really comprehend these aspects until you have fallen completely and utterly in love with someone who, somewhere down the road, walked left while you went right. You don’t really know the type of person you are until you get your heart broken.

You will meet every type of boy in your life time. You will meet the boy next door, who somehow becomes your best guy friend. He’s the type of person that you will go to for everything possible, such as a fight with your friend or boyfriend. He’s the one you run to. Than there are those boys that you find attractive, but nothing ever really occurs between you two. You simply just pass them on your way to class or in the store. You smile at each other and share one-word sentences, but nothing ever comes out of it. Then, there are the boys that you fall so far into love with, you can’t fantom the idea of losing them. Then suddenly, without any warning, you lose them. In that moment, that is when you truly discover the person you are and will be.

The pain of his loss will flood your mind and veins. Each night, your pillow will be soaked with tears. You constantly toss and turn, trying to figure out at which point it all went downhill. You start to have self-doubt and your self-esteem begins to dwindle. You begin to spiral downwards. So far, that you’re not even sure how to stand back up. Suddenly, one day, you begin to learn more about yourself than you ever thought possible.

You discover just how strong of a person you can be. You’ll wake up one morning and decide that you don’t want to feel sad anymore. So, you box up everything he’s ever given you and toss out all the pictures of him. You’ll find the will-power to stop scrolling back to those late-night text messages and all those handwritten letters. You thought that you were not a strong person, but you will see just how strong you are when you get your heart-broken.

When you are truly heart-broken, where you feel the pain of your heart shattering all the way down to your core, you will be more determined more than ever. You will discover a new way to make you happy. You will find a new hobby to avoid your mind wandering back to his face. You will be determined to achieve a new set of goals and to better yourself. Maybe you start a new healthy eating habit, or instead of bottling everything in, you begin to journal your thoughts and feelings. You spill your secrets and everything you ever wanted to say on every line of the paper. You decide from then on, that you are determined to finally let go of him and move on.

You will discover your bravery in the sense that, you’ll open your heart up again to the idea of love. This may take days, weeks, or even months. There is no rush, every person takes their own time healing. Once you believe that you are finally okay, you’ll open your heart up again. When the right boy comes along, you’ll discover just how brave you are for taking a leap and a second chance at love. This is not going to be an easy road, but it will be worth it. Your bravery will conquer the fear of loss. It’s time that will mend the broken parts of you back together. It will be the boy that will help you to love again.

As of now, you may think that you know who you are, but just wait for that moment when your heart gets broken. For that, will be the moment you begin to fully understand who you are as a person. It is when you’re most vulnerable, but as the days drag on, that vulnerability will fade, and your strength, determination, and bravery will shine through you like the sun does through the clouds. It’s going to be long road to take, but it will be worth the self-discovery. Don’t give up on yourself now, continue down that road and let your inner self come through. 

May 5, 1995  Junior at Kutztown University Professional Writing Major Public Relations Minor Here are my favorite things  Fashion Sunflowers Horses and Dogs Love Handwritten Letters Coffee Thanksgiving  Cities Beaches Museums Vogue Magazine Black and White Flims The Colors Pink and Yellow