This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Valentine’s Day is one day of the year that creates heated conversations. I was lucky because it was never a big thing in my house. It was just a day to get more candy from classmates in elementary school. It was like a boost in confidence because everyone got something for Valentine’s Day.

V-Day is also the day after my sister’s birthday and a week after my mom’s birthday, so the date of it is just an inconvenience. Growing up, my dad was always my Valentine. He would buy a little box of chocolate and a card for me and my sister. He would get a dozen roses for my mom. Once he gave her 11 roses, and let’s just say he will never make that mistake again. Valentine’s Day was never an important day for me. It was just the day after my sister’s birthday, a day where I could eat chocolate in any form. I never really paid any mind to it. I had no desire to celebrate it. I understand both perspectives of either wanting or not wanting to celebrate it, but I get not loving the day. I know that I’ve always wanted to have the option to celebrate it.

The hatred towards Valentine’s day is completely valid. Why should I be extra special and show my love to my significant other just one day of the year? I get that, but then why do we have a Mother’s or Father’s Day? We shouldn’t just have one day to appreciate our parents or loved ones and we don’t. Valentine’s Day isn’t the only day to celebrate love, it’s the day where you can celebrate your love with the world. It’s a day set aside to be cheesy. However, with all that being said, I don’t want to celebrate it. I want to try one Valentine’s Day the, “right” way, but more of a once and done kind of thing. It’s a day where I can enjoy all the clichés.

I love cheesy anything: puns, pick up lines, gestures, and the food. My hope is that no matter who I end up with, we will take turns surprising each other on one random day of the year, but it can’t be any holiday, including birthdays and our anniversary. The surprise would be our own special Valentine’s Day, but just not on February 14th. I want to do random cute and cheesy little things on an unexpected day. Although, one day when I have a significant other, I want to just relax, in sweats and enjoy some good food on my couch. I want to be able to wish him a happy Valentine’s Day, but with no pressure. This all being said, I still want chocolate on Valentine’s Day, but I don’t need a boyfriend to have chocolate.

I would say I’m yay Valentine’s Day. I’m not going to be miserable on a day meant for love, even if it’s meant for the love of profit. I know Valentine’s Day is a huge day to make money from consumers, but so are most holidays. If there is a day for love, there are definitely people who are going to show their love for making money. But that’s okay, because it’s a day that I get to show my love for laziness, romantic comedies, and chocolate. 

Jeri Fries

Kutztown '20

Jeri Fries is an Art Education in Alternative Settings Major at Kutztown University. She love dogs, yarn, Gilmore Girls, sarcasm, her family and so many other things in this world! She has always loved to write and is very thankful for this opportunity to share her words.