This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

It has become more and more apparent to people that words have power but even so most people don’t know to what extent. Words can literally change a person’s life. 

In recent years there has been an emergence of a ‘new religion’. This new religion and its beliefs are exemplified in works like The Secret. However, most if not all of those beliefs are just regurgitated information from ancient texts such as the Bible, including the saying of “speaking things into existence,”  which is very commonly used. In the book of Genesis 1:3 it says, “And God said, ‘Let there be light,’ and there was light.” The first couple chapters of Genesis continues in this way, with the whole of creation coming into being through words. Things literally came into existence where they weren’t previously through the spoken word.

To some people this sounds completely absurd, some invisible spirit formed the earth and space with words. But we are all spirits and our words have just as much power. Our words can create generational curses just as much as they can break them. An example of this is how receiving abuse as a child can make a person an abuser as an adult and this can continue for generations if it is allowed, or it can be broken by choosing to use loving words as an adult regardless of how a person had been treated as a child. The book of Proverbs has many verses that speak of the effect words have over a person’s life:

• Proverbs 11:17 “Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel.”
  • Proverbs 15:1 “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but hard words stir up anger
  • Proverbs 18:4 “A person’s words can be life-giving water; words of true wisdom are as refreshing as a bubbling brook.”
  • Proverbs 25:18 “Telling lies about someone is as harmful as hitting them with an ax, wounding them with a sword, or shooting them with a sharp arrow.”

There are many more relevant quotes but it’s easy to see the wisdom within these few. How many stories have people heard about children committing suicide becuase of bullying, or couples divorcing because of harmful communication or family members who havent spoken to each other in years over grudges held, or basically everyone who holds insecurities and anger and bitterness over the things that have been said to them. On the other side of the spectrum people create life when they say things like “I do”, or “I love you”. Even just giving a compliment and bringing a smile to someone’s face has impact. Words, depending on how they are used contain equal power over bringing life or death to the body, mind and/or heart.

Cynthia Diaz

Kutztown '20

Cynthia Diaz is currently an English major at Kutztown University.