Why We Love These YA Book Boyfriends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Guys in real life sometimes disappoint us, and the biggest reason for said disappointment is that they don’t meet the expectations of the boyfriends in Young Adult books. I’m not saying to give up on romance or men entirely, but we have to admit that even if there’s at least one decent guy in reality, we’d often want these wonderful fictional dudes as boyfriends.

And here’s why…

Tobias “Four” Eaton (The Divergent Series)

Selfless, brave, and kind, Tobias “Four” Eaton is everything a girl wants in a guy. Aside from his incredibly good looks, Tobias pushes people to be their best selves. He also stands for what’s right and will always have your back, whether facing corrupt government officials or small-time bullies like Peter Hayes. Tobias can be very emotionally guarded at first (mainly due to his father’s abuse), but like Tris, the first step into a healthy relationship is always to be patient and be a friend. Unlike most of his macho Dauntless buddies, Tobias isn’t afraid to show his vulnerable side without being a wuss, and that’s an attractive quality in a man. What truly makes Tobias a great boyfriend is that he’ll always look out for your best interests without trying to change or belittle you. He values his girlfriend, Tris, not solely as a love interest, but a partner in life. Plus, he’s a trainer, and it’s always good to have someone to workout with!

If tough guys ain’t your speed, then how about going for the soft types?

Peeta Mellark (The Hunger Games Trilogy)

What hasn’t already been said about the loverboy baker? Like how he looks at Katniss with such love and adoration? Or how incredibly patient he is to people who aren’t? Or the fact that he’s so dang naturally caring toward others? Basically he’s an all-around nice guy, and if we can be honest with ourselves, ladies, we need that kind of guy in our lives, whether as a boyfriend or a friend, and Peeta is definitely both. There’s also the fact that he’s a baker, and being around a guy who can bake can make your life sweeter… or more savory, whichever flavor you prefer. Creative, funny, and kind, Peeta Mellark is the kind of guy that real-life men can learn from.

If softies ain’t your cup of tea, then how about a guy who’s tall, dark, and bad all over?

Kaz Brekker (Six of Crows)

Bad boys are like catnip to most women. They take what they want, they don’t fear the consequences, and they have a heart of gold underneath all the broodiness and dark clothing. Kaz Brekker is the gold standard of bad boys! Clever, intense, and exciting, Kaz will keep you on your toes and there’s never a dull moment when you join his crew of crows. Kaz can be emotionally and physically too hard to get close to sometimes, but once you earn his trust he’ll slowly show his heart underneath that black armor of his… well, technically he wears a fine suit, but the statement remains the same! Speaking of his fine suits, Kaz always dresses to impress with his iconic fedora hat, his black, feather-print gloves, and crow cane. He enjoys the finer things in life and it’s okay to admit to liking a guy who’ll give us the taste of the high life. Though he struggles with morality and his inner demons, Kaz will always try to do the right thing for those closest to him, especially for his right hand woman/love interest, Inej. I mean the dude used his resources to find her family, bought her a ship, and named it after her. If that’s not love I don’t know what is!

If you want a break from the bad boys, then how about a guy with old-fashioned values?

Edward Cullen (The Twilight Saga)

Sorry not sorry Teams Jacob and Switzerland, Edward Cullen takes the gold in supernatural boyfriends. When he’s not trying to resist the urge to suck your blood, Edward can be quite the gentleman. Unlike most men in real life, Edward values a woman’s soul more than her flesh. When Edward looks at Bella, he sees the most beautiful creature he’d ever laid eyes on. He respects a woman’s boundaries, he puts a lady’s interests before his own, and his undying devotion is just so so hot Hot HOT! Now I know some of you may think his interest in Bella is either obsessive, possessive, or toxic, but if you find the time to read Stephanie Meyers’ Midnight Sun, your perspective of him might change… or if not, then that’s fine, you do you. Did I mention the fact that he’s also musically gifted? I mean who can resist a musician? The dude composed a melody for his lady for Pete’s sake! I can think of one word for Eddie, and that is, SWOON-WORTHY!

Finding a solid steady boyfriend can be hard in real life, but don’t give up hope ladies! Somewhere out there, Mr. Right will come. Until then, we’re holding out for a hero in these Young Adult Boyfriends.

Meaghan Torres

Kutztown '23

My name is Meaghan Xenia Alexandra Torres, I like to be called Alex. I’m a Christian, Autistic, & I’m studying for writing and art in Kutztown. I enjoy movies, books, tv shows, chocolate, swimming, writing, art, and spending time with my family & friends