Why “Open When” Letters are the Cutest and Best Present for Your S.O. This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Four years ago, when I was a senior in high school and my boyfriend was in his first year of working full-time, I made him an “Open When” box for Christmas, and it has (quite literally) been the gift that keeps on giving. We live together now, so it’s not as utilized as it was before, but I’ll still write him a letter or two when I feel so inclined. So if you’re still searching for a cute DIY project for your S.O. for Valentine’s Day, here are five reasons why you should go with the “Open When” box:

You can keep adding to it for other occasions, and it’s just as special.

Birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, even just regular old Tuesdays: whenever you need something to make your S.O. feel special and loved, you can add new cards and letters.​

It can change as your relationship changes

Not all relationships stay the same forever – and they shouldn’t! As you and your S.O. become closer and more serious, the letters can become more serious, too. Unlike other presents, it can fluctuate with your relationship.

It can predict the future

With themes like, “Open When I’m Angry At You” or “Open When I’m Not There and You Wish I Was” – giving yourself the ability to tell your S.O. things not in the heat of the moment, which can sometimes be helpful. You can tell them that you love them and you’re sorry, before you even do anything wrong, instead of getting more upset in the moment.

It’s good for 365 days a year

Not every letter has to be incredibly important – they can be as simple as “Open When You’re Lonely” or “Open When You’re Sick.” And once you get to the right point, they can become more serious, like “Open When You’re Thinking About Our Future.”

It’s one of the best options for long-distance relationships

While I was never more than a half-hour ride away for the three months that I lived on campus, the concept of the “Open When” box was originally created for long-distance relationships, which can be a big step in some college relationships. So if you’re worried about your long-distance relationship and want to make sure that your SO has a way to always have your words and presence beside them, the “Open When” box is one of the best ways to do it!

Megan. 20. Kutztown University Class of 2017. English Education Major, Gender Studies Minor. Activist, writer, movie lover, and blogger. www.wordsbymeganmichael.wordpress.com