This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

An emotional support animal can be exceedingly helpful for those who struggle with mental health issues, stress, and any other hardships. Not only do ESA’s allow you to focus on something that does not involve the stressors in your life, but there are many sensory aspects that appeal greatly to those who are neurodivergent. 

Cats are, in my opinion, the best ESA for various reasons. Firstly, they are very easy to care for in comparison to some other pets. Although dogs would be great ESA’s as well, they require more care and attention than cats do. As long as you are willing to put in the minimal effort to allow your kitty to thrive, you should find that being a cat owner is quite simple. 

Along with being easy to care for, they are loaded with different sensory aids. Their soft fur can help you feel grounded when under a lot of stress or overstimulated. Their purr can also help you destress or even fall asleep. Even just their meows can help you feel more grounded and shift your focus from the stressors in your life. 

If you are interested in adopting a cat as an ESA, you usually just need a letter from a mental health professional prescribing the cat to you as your emotional support animal. Most places such as apartment buildings, dorms, etc., only require this letter. If you are planning on getting a cat as an ESA, make sure you get pet insurance, a pad or any durable covering to place under the litter box, and a scratching post to minimize damage! 

Sarah Mengel

Kutztown '23

Senior English major with a minor coffee addiction :)