Career

When People Ask Why I Would Ever Want To Teach High School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

It is funny, the way every conversation with the people you meet in college sounds exactly the same. They will ask how you are, you will say you are good. They will ask where you are from, you will say Delco (noting that it is about twenty minutes outside Philly.) They will ask what your major is, and you will say Secondary Education English. With this, you will receive one of two reactions. The first is just a smile and nod followed by their response declaring their major.  The other reaction, one I receive all too frequently, is “Why would you want to teach high school? I could never.” This question always left me feeling very confused. After all, I could not see any reason why someone would not want to teach high school.

There is a simple reply. I tell them about my dream of being a writer, deriving from my love of reading and writing. I would add that this goal always seemed unattainable, so I opted to share my passion in another way, by educating others on it in hopes that they are as ardent about it as I am. This, though not entirely untrue, is not the principal reason I want to be an educator for high schoolers. 

High school is an extremely strenuous time in many students’ lives where countless are fighting battles that are unseen. Though I will be there to administer my two-cents on The Great Gatsby and To Kill A Mockingbird, teachers can be so much more. They can be someone young people know they can always turn to, a trusted adult, and even a friend. I have learned about it extensively even after only one semester of college, and many of us take for granted our high school experience. Some students have such hectic home lives they find it difficult to focus on classes or even make it to school some days. Educators like the one I hope to become offer the support and motivation to students who lack such structure from their home lives. 

Those who ask why I would want to teach high school most likely never had a teacher in their life like the teacher I aspire to be. Though I am passionate about English and excited to share that with the future generations, I am enthusiastic to be able to help students reach their full potential.

Alexa Rode

Kutztown '24

Alexa Rode is a junior at Kutztown University of Pennsylvania. She studies English and Professional Writing. When not reading or writing, she spends her time performing with the Kutztown Dance Team and is a sister of Delta Zeta.
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur