This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

The definition of success, according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, is “the accomplishment of a goal or the attainment of wealth, status and honor.” This is assuming you got it from a specific dictionary. In past years, success has been exemplified by being able to provide for your family or getting a promotion at work. Usually, people view success as being something they can evaluate and concretely prove, which is why it more often than not takes the form of material possessions, whether that be  money, clothes, jewelry, cars, etc.

However, I think that success has recently come to encompass more. There is an increasing amount of young people wanting to become entrepreneurs so that they can work for themselves, and being able to sustain yourself through your own work  now signifies success. The ability of a person to work for themselves has also increased through YouTube and through creating almost anything, including t-shirts, sweatshirts, dad hats, etc. This job market creates a new level to seeing success as being financially independent.

In addition to the materialistic aspect of success, the word has also come to embody things like happiness and passion. People feel successful at life when they do things they love and enjoy. It is no longer all about working a 9-5 or doing manual labor; people want to experience the world, and this comes out in many different ways. Not too long ago, wanting to have a career in the arts was not considered a logical way to earn a living, but now many people are making good money as content creators. People are more open to working at something they love in contrast to working at something that seems pragmatic to everyone around them. In addition, people consider themselves successful through traveling, which is a strong and common passion that people share. Seeing the world and learning about different cultures is a fulfilling venture for many.

Finally, the most intangible example of what success has come to mean is reaching a place of complete contentment in one’s life. There has been a higher importance placed on mental health, self-reflection and establishing a close, strong bond with family and friends.

I think the fact that success has come to be more about the actual person and less about the things they own is a beautiful thing. All in all, I’d say success has come to be a much more three-dimensional concept in people lives.

Cynthia Diaz

Kutztown '20

Cynthia Diaz is currently an English major at Kutztown University.