What the Starbucks Boycott Means for Our Nation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

At this point I’m sure almost everyone with social media is aware of the recently trending hash tag on twitter, titled #boycottstarbucks, leaving many confused about where this is coming from. Unfortunately, this is not a new health movement suggesting caffeine, and therefore Starbucks is bad for you. And despite my intense caffeine addiction I really wish it was. This new “movement” is based on something so much larger, and more detrimental to our society.

The executive order recently passed banning seven predominately Muslim countries from entering America has been stirring up emotions amongst all members in our nation recently. The seven countries on this list are Iraq, Iran, Libya, Syria, Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen. This new order putting a halt on the recent law passed by Obama to allow Syrian refugees to take shelter in America. One person who was particularly disturbed by this being CEO of Starbucks. Who decided to take a more creative approach on making a statement to President Trumps executive order. Announcing on Sunday evening that his company had plans of hiring 10,000 Syrian refugees within the next five years. 

Apparently a large number of Americans have a problem with legal immigrants escaping harsh conditions and fleeing to a “safe” nation with hopes for a better life and obtaining legal jobs. While It is incredibly doubtful that all those tweeting the boycott are aspiring to become Starbucks baristas themselves, ruling out the fear of them being able to gain jobs, which leaves the reasoning behind this twitter trend somewhat a mystery. It leaves us to assume that the hash tag is fueled by xenophobia and hatred.

Within the past couple months I have seen my country become something that I do not identify with, often leaving me with a swarm of feelings; anger, confusion, sadness. This is not because I feel that things are becoming too conservative, but because I genuinely look around and wonder how people can treat other humans this way and believe in their heart they are doing right.

Being only the second generation of my family to be born in America, I am able to recognize if we had refused the entry of refugees 70 years ago I would not be here today. My grandfather came to America after his country was completely devastated by World War II. He came to our great nation with the dream of creating a better life for himself and his family. This is a right that every human being should be entitled to. Not something that is exclusive to your religion.