This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

With Black History Month nearing the end and Women’s History Month coming up, here’s a top five list of the best and most badass films led by empowering women of color.

5.) The Princess & The Frog

From Queens to princesses, we’re diving into the animated genre on this list about Disney’s first black princess Tiana, voiced by Anika Noni Rose. Like any Disney movie, this brave heroine goes on a journey both external and internal as Tiana not only tries to break free of her curse, but also works towards her dream to own a restaurant. Along the way, Tiana discovers that in life she may not always get what she wants, but she’ll always have what she needs and that is love from her family, friends, and her true love, Naveen. Whether as a human or amphibian, Anika’s character shines through adversity through her determination and spirit against the harsh realities of discrimination and a scary voodoo man. Her singing vocals don’t hurt either as she brought the house down in every song she sang such as her “I Want” song, Almost There. Well Tiana, your star power made it into the hearts of viewers everywhere! This film also stars television’s darling, Oprah Winfrey as Eudoria, a seamstress that can mend her daughter’s heart as well as her dresses, and Jenifer Lewis as the swamp voodoo queen, Mama Odie, who is wise, sassy, and badass to boot!

4.) Queen of Katwe

Before Anya Taylor-Joy’s Beth Harmon, Phiona Mutesi wore the crown of chess queen. Disney’s Queen of Katwe stars Madina Nalwanga as Phiona, a girl who lives in the poor slums of Katwe with her family living to survive, living without hope. That is until she stumbled upon something that would forever change her life… a simple chess game. As soon as Phiona learned all the tricks and techniques of chess, like Beth Harmon, her coach discovered she had a unique talent in seeing moves ahead of her opponents. Chess opened a whole new world for Phinoa filled with possibilities, opportunities, and the one thing she and her family longed for: hope. Madina gave a captivating performance in telling Phiona’s story of survival, faith, family, and inner strength. This movie also stars Lupita Nyong’o as Nakku Harriet, Phiona’s mother who fought tooth and nail to provide for her children, and the late Nikita Pearl Waligwa as Gloria, Phiona’s friend and fellow chess player who calls “Queening” instead of “Kinging” in the competitive game. Whether you like the game, or love a strong female led biopic film, or both, this movie is made just for you!

3.) Harriet (2019)

The story of Harriet Tubman has been told in countless media, but Cynthia Erivo’s take on the historical heroine is by far the best. We all know who Harriet is, and her story, but this film was able to show things about this woman we’ve never truly explored: her faith. Tubman’s actions were her own, but it was her faith in Christ that gave her the strength and courage to liberate herself and her people from slavery. Erivo successfully embodied Tubman’s beliefs to a T. The added highlight of her performance was Erivo’s melodious vocals as she sang to send messages of wellness, warnings, and hope. Want to watch a good hero origin story? Well look no further than Harriet!

2.) Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

This Marvel film is a beautiful tribute to the late great Chadwick Boseman. However, this masterpiece wouldn’t be possible without the leading women of Wakanda. Angela Bassett, Letitia Wright, Lupita Nyong’o, Danai Gurira, and rising star Dominique Thorne all gave compelling performances for their respective characters. Bassett, Wright, Nyong’o, and Gurira’s characters uniquely explored the loss of T’Challa while finding their own footing to break free from grief and standing together against a powerful enemy. Thorne’s debut as Riri Williams, aka Ironheart, is a welcoming addition to the MCU as she gave a strong performance that is humorous, fresh, inspiring, and relatable. If you love a good female led ensemble, Wakanda Forever is the film for you!

1.) The Woman King

Viola Davis can’t do no wrong! In this film based on true events, Davis plays General Nanisca, leader of an all female army under King Ghezo. In the 1800’s, the African kingdom of Dahomey was invaded by foreign enemies that threatened to destroy their way of life. It’s up to Nanisca to recruit new warriors to protect their kingdom and home. Viola Davis gave a powerful performance as a woman who’s been scarred by the traumas of her past and is able to face her fears head on in the present while courageously leading an army of fierce warrior women with discipline and heart. This movie will have you at the edge of your seat from beginning to end!

If you want to watch a movie starring an empowering black female lead, then look no further than these fierce female films!

Meaghan Torres

Kutztown '23

My name is Meaghan Xenia Alexandra Torres, I like to be called Alex. I’m a Christian, Autistic, & I’m studying for writing and art in Kutztown. I enjoy movies, books, tv shows, chocolate, swimming, writing, art, and spending time with my family & friends