This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

One of the most cliché phrases out there is “time flies when you’re having fun.” Personally, I think that time flies whether you’re having fun or not. This cliche has always proven to be true for me, especially these past few years. This realization hit me as far back as the beginning of high school.

I was a freshman, and about five minutes later, I was a senior. Of course this is an extreme exaggeration, but when I reflect on those four years of my high school career they all seem to blend together. I remember it as a rapid progression from the first pep rally of the year, to endless amounts of homework assignments, to holiday vacations, and then finals week. I think that we make time go by so fast because we are always working towards the next thing. If it’s Monday, we are counting the minutes until Friday. We are rushing our life by waiting for the next moment, we aren’t focusing on the right now.

I am guilty of this. I am the person who is waiting for Friday on a Monday afternoon. I am the person who, in October, is praying for Christmas break to come. By doing this, I am missing the important moments that are happening right now. In the future, I might forget that Wednesday afternoon where I went to lunch with my best friend and we laughed so hard we almost choked on our food. However, that is the exact kind of thing I want to remember. Not only has my high school career flown by, but so has my college experience. I am in my senior year, preparing for my last semester. I am stunned by this. I have been so ridiculously busy for the last four years that I had failed to see how fast life around me was moving.

I am seven months away from graduation. My childhood best friend just bought her first house. My brother got married and moved to Rhode Island. A handful of people from my graduating class got engaged over the last two years — for real. My first high school reunion is right around the corner. It’s just crazy to look back and see how much has happened. The last time I really looked around at my world, we were all still kids not worrying about what was going to happen in the future. Now, adulthood has forced itself upon us without any of us even realizing it.

So basically, what I’m trying to say, is that time definitely does pass by very quickly. Because of this, be sure to enjoy your present. Don’t waste your days away by waiting for the next thing. It’s important to live for right now and get the most out of your adolescence because in the blink of an eye, you’ll be an adult. I am sure that time will continue to fly for me, but I am definitely going to try to slow it down.

Position: Secretary and Senior Editor in Chief of the Kutztown University Chapter. My name is Taylor McKeown. My major is secondary education with a concentration in English. I love all things pop punk, pizza, and cat related. Aside from reading and writing, my favorite things to do are binge watch Friends and One Tree Hill on Netflix, as well as take lots of naps. My goal for Her Campus is to provide articles that are relatable, humorous, and interesting to read.