The Taylor Swift Eras Tour: What Songs I Think May Be On the Eras Tour  (Part 1)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Selling over 2.4 million tickets on the day of the infamous presale, The Taylor Swift Eras Tour is probably going to be one of the most anticipated tours of the year, said to most likely be capping in over a billion dollars in revenue once all is said and done. I’m sure many of us know the Ticketmaster fiasco that buying tickets brought, but now that the tour is starting in Arizona on March 17th, 2023, I think it’s time to share my predictions of what songs may be on The Eras Tour. From your fellow swiftie and what my friends call me the “Swiftiepedia,” here are my thoughts (and my hopes) of the songs she plays out of the 229 song Swift discography. 

Note: This article will be divided into three parts, as Taylor has…quite the discography to go through. Stay tuned.

Taylor Swift Debut Era

In 2006, Taylor Swift released her self-titled debut album at 16 years old. The debut album had five singles over a time span of 2 years, most, if not all of them, screaming “country superstar.” While she had 5 singles, I feel she won’t spend too much time with this era. She will do some of the most memorable and classic but will move on to the other eras. I thought long and hard about the other two singles “Should’ve Said No” and “Picture to Burn” but I feel she will have to cut some, and these two will probably be the ones cut.  

“Tim McGraw”

Being the debut single of Taylor Swift’s career, “Tim McGraw” narrates a romance that once was and the reminiscing the narrator feels when she thinks about that perfect romantic summer that has now ended. Swift performed “Tim McGraw” when opening for country acts, as well as including it in her first setlist for the Fearless Tour of 2009-2010. I feel if Swift performs this song, the feeling of “eras” will come around full circle, nodding back to 17 years ago, when Taylor launched into stardom in the country scene. 

“Our Song”

The third single in the debut album run, “Our Song,” didn’t leave the number one spot on the Hot Country Songs list for six weeks straight. At 17 years old, Swift’s single screamed country with the sounds of acoustic, electric guitar, banjo, and fiddle. If Taylor’s Era tour does not include “Our Song,” is it really the debut era? 

Fearless (Taylor’s Version) Era

Released in 2008, Fearless spent 11 consecutive weeks on the Billboard Top 200 complete with 6 singles. Fearless (Taylor’s Version) was released in April of 2021, including a ton of new “vault tracks” and rerecords of the other well-known Swift Fearless songs. The Fearless Tour was Swift’s first headlining tour to support the second country album in her music career. 

“Love Story (Taylor’s Verison)”

Topping the Billboard Country Top 10, “Love Story (Taylor’s Version)” was rereleased on February 12, 2021. This song was also noted as the first re-released track release by Taylor. A spinoff of the Romeo and Juliet Shakespearean love story, the 3:55 minute length song makes listeners of the country love song feel as if they are a part of the story. Releasing this not only as a single back in 2008 but as the single and start of the re-recordings, Taylor HAS to play this song live!

“Mr. Perfectly Fine (Taylors Version) (From The Vault)”

While this song only became existent on April 7, 2021, as a promotional song to give Swiftie’s easter eggs for the rest of the vault songs. With a new concept, Swift let the fans know that vault songs would be included in all of her re-releases; the songs that were created for that past album but never selected to be on the final version. “Mr. Perfectly Fine” topped the Billboard Top 30 charts in multiple countries, making Swifties’ all over the world feel nostalgic for that feeling of Fearless. I think while this was not an original Fearless song, performing this one may make the Swifties very happy. 

“Fifteen & Fearless (Taylor’s Version)”

These two songs are together because, while I don’t think she’ll mash them up, I feel like Taylor will play one part of each. Starting with the simple strumming pattern of “Fifteen (Taylor’s Version),” Taylor will move into the lyrics of “head first, Fearless..” and finish off the Fearless era with track number one from the album. While I’d love her to play both fully, I feel Taylor may have to take some songs and shorten them, maneuvering them to fit within the time constraints of the concert.

Speak Now Era 

“Mean”

Released in 2010 on her first fully self-written album, and yet to be released as Taylor’s Version (though Swifties are dreaming it’s released pre-Eras Tour), Swift’s single “Mean” is led by a band of banjos and string instruments, while her singing gives listeners a sense of her country twang. The song is inspired by Swift’s critics at the time, discussing how despite all of the critiques given to her music and her personal life, Taylor overcomes the ridicule. With a fun upbeat tempo, I feel Swift would perform this as part of the Speak Now era during the tour. 

“Enchanted” 

Though “Enchanted” was never made a single, this song is the “single that never was.” The lyrics and feel of this song give infatuation, romance, and questioning if someone will ever love you the same as you love them. Though only performed on select tour dates on both Speak Now and the Red tour, I feel “Enchanted” may be played on the Eras Tour as an ode to the fans. “Enchanted” has a special place in a lot of Swiftie’s hearts and many even say it’s one of her best songs.  

“The Story Of Us”

Made the third and final single of Speak Now in 2011, “The Story Of Us” describes the awkward encounters that one may have with an ex and that feeling of what once was, is not the same anymore. This song was performed a few times on live performances, as well as a part of the Speak Now tour setlist. Though not a part of any other tour set list, I feel she could surprise the fans with this song making an appearance. 

“Long Live”

As an ode to her fans and her band, Swift’s final song on the Speak Now album, “Long Live” captures the feeling of nostalgia and thankfulness. This song has always been a tear-jerker for me, reminding me of my best friends and my graduation during undergrad. Though not made a single, many of the Swifties have a special connection to this song very much like enchanted. “Long Live” would be a great way to end the era of Speak Now during the tour. 

Alyssa Alfinito

Kutztown '23

graduate studies in student affairs higher ed undergraduate degree in psychology graduate intern at lehigh pride center graduate assistant manager at KU writing center photographer, writer, traveler, book lover