This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

If anyone here is a Divergent series fan, then you should probably know about its fictional faction system. Like Harry Potter’s Hogwarts Houses, and Hunger Games’s Districts, the world of Divergent is divided into five factions, six if you include the factionless. If you are a music fan, (silly question I know!) then you’re going to love this playlist.

Abnegation

The Abnegation faction may be all gray, but that doesn’t mean they’re dull. Abnegation values selflessness, to help others in need and put others’ interest before their own. If this faction sounds like you then here’s some songs that’ll fill your hearts with selfless love!

1.  10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord) by Matt Redman Matt Redman – 10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord)
  2.  Rescue by Lauren Daigle Lauren Daigle – Rescue (Official Music Video)
  3.   We Can Change the World by Hawk Nelson We Can Change The World
  4.  Bleed the Same by Mandisa (feat. tobyMac & Kirk Franklin)Mandisa – Bleed The Same ft. TobyMac, Kirk Franklin
  5.  Lean on Me by Bill Withers Lean on Me
  6.  Both of Us by B.o.B (feat. Taylor Swift)B.o.B – Both of Us ft. Taylor Swift [Official Video]
  7.  Dare You to Move by Switchfoot Switchfoot – Dare You To Move
  8.  Help by The Beatles The Beatles – Help! 
  9.  A Million Voices by Polina Gagarina Polina Gagarina – A Million Voices (Lyrics)
  10. Carry You by Ruelle (feat. Fleurie)Ruelle ft. Fleurie – Carry You (Official Video)

Dauntless

The Dauntless faction are full of people who are brave and bold. They take risks, they defend the weak, and of course do crazy stunts just for the thrill. Most see them as plain adventure seekers, which they are, but more importantly their acts of bravery, extraordinary or ordinary, motivates people to stand up for what’s right. So if this factions your jam, then this playlist will get your heart pumping!

1.  Overcomer by Mandisa Mandisa – Overcomer
  2.  Warrior by Hannah Kerr Hannah Kerr “Warrior” Official Lyric Video
  3. My Songs Know What You Did In the Dark (Light Em Up) by Fall Out Boy Fall Out Boy – My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light Em Up) – Part 1 of 11
  4.  Beat It by Michael Jackson Michael Jackson – Beat It (Official 4K Video)
  5.  Brave by Sara Bareilles Sara Bareilles – Brave (Official Video)
  6.  I Dare You by Bea Miller Bea Miller – I Dare You (Audio Only)
  7.  You’re the Best by Joe “Bean” Esposito You’re The Best
  8.  Unstoppable by Sia Sia – Unstoppable (Lyrics)
  9.  Warriors by Imagine Dragons Imagine Dragons – Warriors
  10. Undefeated by Daughtry Undefeated

Erudite

The Erudite faction are the thinkers or the pencil pushers—basically nerds! They push the boundaries with their passion for knowledge to reveal discoveries of the unknown. While their faction’s reputation may sometimes come across as rigid, cold, and calculative; it’s their strong sense of curiosity that drives them to wanting to know more that’s admirable. So if anyone is curious to know if this faction playlist fits your proud nerdy personality, here it is!

1.  The Scientist by Coldplay Coldplay – The Scientist (Official 4K Video)
  2.  Be True to Your School by The Beach Boys Beach Boys – Be True To Your School
  3.  Speed of Sound by Coldplay Coldplay – Speed Of Sound (Official Video)
  4.  Everything Now by Oskura Everything Now – oscura – welcome to eden
  5.  Stories by Paige O’ Hara (Beauty & the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas)Stories
  6.  How Far I’ll Go by Auli’i Cravalho (Moana)Auli’i Cravalho – How Far I’ll Go (from Moana/Official Video)
  7.  Learning to Fly by Hills x Hills Learning to Fly
  8.  Pretty Much Amazing by Joanna Pretty Much Amazing
  9.  Education by Pearl Jam Education
  10. Sunflower by Post Malone & Swae Lee Post Malone, Swae Lee – Sunflower (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)

Candor

As Will pointed out, “You Have No Filter, You Say The First Thing That Comes Into Your Head.” There really is no controlling what comes out of a Candor’s mouth when it comes to truth telling. While sometimes Candors may come off as rude with all the blunt honesty they speak, they’re all about truth, justice, and openness. So if this playlist is for you, don’t hold back and say what you want to say!

1.  Tell Me the Truth by Abby Robertson Abby Robertson – Tell Me the Truth (Lyric Video)
  2.  Voice of Truth by Casting Crowns Casting Crowns – Voice of Truth (Official Lyric Video)
  3.  Truth Be Told by Matthew West Matthew West – Truth Be Told (Official Music Video)
  4.  Be Honest by Jason Mraz (feat. Inara George)Be Honest (feat. Inara George)
  5.  Speechless by Naomi Scott Naomi Scott – Speechless (from Aladdin) (Official Video)
  6.  What I Like About You by Lillix LILLIX – What I Like About You (2003)(Freaky Friday 1080p)
  7.  You’re the Reason by Victorious Cast & Victoria Justice You’re The Reason
  8.  You Don’t Know Me by Victorious Cast (feat. Elizabeth Gillies)Victorious Cast – You Don’t Know Me (Audio) ft. Elizabeth Gillies
  9.  The World Will Know by Jeremy Jordan & Newsies Original Broadway Cast Newsies (Original Broadway Cast Recording) – 7. The World Will Know
  10. Secrets by OneRepublic OneRepublic – Secrets (Official Music Video)

Amity

The people of earth can be cruel sometimes, so when cruelty comes, we kill them with kindness. Amity is all about kindness, harmony, happiness, and living life filled with joy, for them there’s no such thing as a bad day. So if you’re the person that loves people, life, and love, then this playlist will give all the feels!

1.  Priceless by for King & Country Priceless by For King and Country Lyrics
  2.  Beautiful Life by Bebe Rexha Beautiful Life (From the Motion Picture Abominable)
  3.  Ain’t No Mountain High Enough by Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (extra HQ) – Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
  4.  You’re Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile by Sia Sia – You’re Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile (2014 Film Version)
  5.  Who Says by Selena Gomez & The Scene Selena Gomez & The Scene – Who Says
  6.  Whistle (While You Work It) by Katy Tiz Katy Tiz – Whistle (While You Work It) OFFICIAL VIDEO
  7.  Unconditionally by Katy Perry Katy Perry – Unconditionally (Official)
  8.  Two Worlds by Phil Collins Two Worlds
  9.  Stuck With You by Sonus Stuck With You
  10. Pocketful of Sunshine by Natasha Bedingfield Natasha Bedingfield – Pocketful of Sunshine (Official Video)

Factionless

Do you ever feel like you don’t belong, like you’re not accepted to any group because of the flaws that society has constantly pointed at you? Well that’s life for the Factionless, and in the world of Divergent when a person fails their initiation, they’re casted out in exile, or if they don’t agree with the system then they abandon their factions. To most people, the Factionless are hopeless and helpless outcasts, but through Evelyn Johnson Eaton’s leadership (although misguided at first) she helped them see the true value within themselves, that they do have power in a society that sees them as powerless. This playlist goes out to all the marvelous misfits.

1.  Outcast by Kerrie Roberts Kerrie Roberts – Outcast
  2.  Royals by Lorde Lorde – Royals (US Version)
  3.  Loser Like Me by Glee Cast Glee Cast – Loser Like Me (Official Audio)
  4.  Blow by Ke$ha Ke$ha – Blow (Official Music Video)
  5.  Under Pressure by Queen Queen – Under Pressure (Official Video)
  6.  Raise Your Glass by P!nk P!nk – Raise Your Glass (Official Video)
  7.  Born This Way by Lady Gaga Lady Gaga – Born This Way (Official Music Video)
  8.  This is Me by Keala Settle & The Greatest Showman Ensemble The Greatest Showman Cast – This Is Me (Official Lyric Video)
  9.  People Like Us by Kelly Clarkson Kelly Clarkson – People Like Us (Official Video)
  10. Outcast by Glee Cast Outcast (Glee Cast Version)

Do You Know Which Faction Playlist You Belong to? Or Are You More Divergent?

Meaghan Torres

Kutztown '23

My name is Meaghan Xenia Alexandra Torres, I like to be called Alex. I’m a Christian, Autistic, & I’m studying for writing and art in Kutztown. I enjoy movies, books, tv shows, chocolate, swimming, writing, art, and spending time with my family & friends