This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Spooky season is upon us, and there is no better time to dig up some old horror classics. Are You Afraid of the Dark? is a Canadian children’s anthology series often compared to Goosebumps. It originally ran from 1990-1996 but was eventually revived twice, once from 1999-2000 and once from 2019-2022. The show centers around a group of friends called The Midnight Society, with each episode featuring a story told by one of its members. The variety of styles is vast, from modern takes on classic tales to wildly original content, though each story includes an element of horror. But which ones will have you shaking in your boots and which will leave you feeling a bit hollow? Here are the best episodes the show has to offer:

1. “The Tale of the Dream Girl”

More supernatural romance drama than horror, this episode centers around brother-sister duo Johnny and Erica Angelli. The pair work at a bowling alley where the former finds a mysterious ring that won’t come off of his finger. A predecessor to The Sixth Sense, “The Tale of the Dream Girl” packs a lot of drama and a few good twists into its short runtime. Similar AYAOTD episodes include “The Tale of the Prom Queen” and “The Tale of the Secret Admirer.”

2. “The Tale of Many Faces”

This episode focuses on Emma, a young model who is insecure about her looks, especially when compared to her gorgeous best friend, Jessie. Emma becomes entranced by the mystical Madame Visage, the owner of a theater company who is hiding quite a few secrets. Ilona Elkin as Madame Visage is a villain that you love to hate, and it’s interesting to watch her unravel as the episode unfolds.

3. “The Tale of the Hunted”

More of an experimental episode, “The Tale of the Hunted” follows Diana, a young hunter who is transformed into a wolf. Using the wolf’s point-of-view to tell the story’s narrative allows for unique cinematography and an interesting story structure. Charlotte Sullivan (Rookie Blue, Pretty Hard Cases) makes the most out of her limited screen time as Diana, and the concept is original enough to make for an interesting watch. 

4. “The Tale of the Mystical Mirror”

Focused on best friends Cindy and Laurel, “The Tale of the Mystical Mirror” cautions against vanity. Laurel works at a beauty shop owned by Ms. Valenti, a woman with a dark past. Slightly more awkward, Cindy often defers to her friend. But when something goes horribly wrong, Cindy must find the courage to rescue Laurel and put an end to Ms. Valenti’s dastardly plans. Fun, frightening, and all-around fantastic, this episode is the one that got me hooked on AYAOTD. 

5. “The Tale of the Laser Maze”

Competitive twins Kara and Ashley Fox are always butting heads. But when a game of laser tag quickly turns sour, the duo must learn to work together. “The Tale of the Laser Maze” has a pretty simple premise, but it’s a ton of fun to watch. The action keeps things interesting while the siblings’ interactions deliver the episode’s lesson in a tasteful manner. 

Sianna Swavely is a Cinema, Television, and Media Production major, with minors in Professional Writing and Communication Studies. In her free time, she can be found video editing, playing the piano, or watching Youtube videos while pretending to study.