This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

The movie industry tends to paints a narcissistic narrative as fantasy-worthy. This is not solely in reference to movies that utilize the damsel in distress concept; almost every rom-com is guilty of normalizing unhealthy relationship dynamics. Many people are unlikely to acknowledge that these pieces of our culture to influence their outlook, but the reality is that even realists are guilty of processing such cloudy perspectives. These types of relationships exist predominantly on college campuses, a prime example being the predominant hookup culture.

As a society, we have progressively become accustomed to lower standards, and it has lead us to accept sub-par behavior as normal. “Dating” is no longer practiced. The concept has been redefined as “talking,” “hanging out,” or “having a thing.” We are a generation afraid of labels, and those that prefer a definition go without because commitment is seen as something hard to obtain. Relationship definers don’t speak up and wait in the hopes that it will happen on its own. The anti-labeler might come up with excuse after excuse, but the truth is that if someone wants to be with you, they will without hesitation.

Complicated relationships only exist out of fear of commitment, and anyone who is uncertain about you is hardly worthwhile. A lot of people like to entertain a possibility as a way to seek validation. Granted, people are allowed to not know how they feel right off the bat. But should they drag out the process, it is likely because they are stringing you and potentially other people along. Nothing is that complicated; if it is, the complication may be the other person’s narcissism keeping them from letting you go. Save yourself the mental stress and only accept love that is straightforward, honest, and easy.

Aspiring Journalist | Self-Published Author