Super Woman: Francoise Normil

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

A Super Woman, an ordinary woman who does extraordinary things. I have had the privilege of meeting countless people who fit this description. Women who have overcome so much. They bleed resilience and strength and use this power to help others. I believe that these people deserve to be celebrated and that’s what this series is for. To acknowledge incredible women who do inspiring things.

“I was deprived of almost every necessity growing up. Even drinkable, not even necessarily clean, water; I had to walk 4 miles just to get it. I don’t like not being able to help if I can. I had a revaluation years ago, and God told me how and what to do. And I simply listened and followed.”

Francoise Normil, born and raised in Haiti, wife, and mother to 7, has dedicated her life to touching the lives of thousands. About 22 years ago, the revaluation she spoke of drove her to start a church, “L’Eglise De Dieu Mineur”, in her home country of Haiti. In the past two decades, the church has expanded to not only provide a place of worship for the people of the community but education, healthcare, employment, and purpose.

Her main mission is to help as many people as possible in the rural areas of Haiti. Now living in America she travels back and forth from Philly to Haiti, being the glue that holds so much together. Her family here in America and the numerous people who depend on her work are all inspired by her actions; just by “planting the seed so many people have the means to help themselves. Over the years we have built countless homes, intuitions and occupations for the people so they can feed themselves and each other.”

Just last October Hurricane Matthew struck and completely destroyed the community. Many people would feel defeated at this point; however, this is where Mrs. Normil displays her superpower. When the sun came out the church stood tall, she and many volunteers were ready to work. Structures that survived became the shelter for majority of the community. With countless prayers and a bit more than 10,000 dollars raised through donation, they were able to buy clothes, food, toiletries, machines to clean up the water, and repair damages.

There are very few people in this world willing to do a fraction of what she has devoted her entire life to. The work that she does and her selfless reasons for doing it leaves me in awe. Without hesitation, I think that Mrs. Normil exemplifies exactly what it means to be a Super Woman.

If her story inspires you to want to help there are various ways of doing so: “Donations, prayer and spreading the word to people who would like to help is the best way to aid in this relief effort.”

You can contact them through their Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/leglisededieu.mineur