Super Person: Court Simmons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

A Super Person, an ordinary person who does extraordinary things. I have had the privilege of meeting countless people who fit this description. People who have overcome so much. They bleed resilience and strength and use this power to help others. I believe that these people deserve to be celebrated and that’s what this series is for. To acknowledge incredible individuals who do inspiring things

Every single one of us has a story, a story that has shaped us into the person we are today. Sometimes there are stories that are so powerful that they completely move the people around them, inspiring us to want to do more and be better. Court Simmons has one of those stories.   Every detail, every chapter and sentence plays a huge role in the person that Court is today. I would like to honor Court’s story in hopes that it will change you the way it has changed me.

Court’s mom fought a very long battle with cancer. For 22 years she gave everything she had to to be there for her family. Court explained to me that their mother sickness was the norm for the family, because she had been sick for as long as they could remember. There was a brief moment however, when their mom went through remission. And within that brief moment Courts sister, Christina, had a seizure and was diagnosed with a terminal brain cancer. She lived for about a year, with her family by her side before she passed away.

A few years passed and Court was now in 10th grade, their mom’s cancer was still growing, and all the while a pain in Court’s knee was growing too; but that detail is important later. Their mom was now too sick for Reggie, their younger brother, and them to take care of. She was admitted into hospice care and everyday they went to see her. Day after day she was getting more sick and Court’s leg pain was intensifying. Christmas night, 2011, Court’s mom passed away.

A week later Court went back to school and finally went to the doctor to get the knee pain checked out. Convinced that it was due to nothing more than exhaustion, they weren’t expected to be diagnosed with bone cancer just a week after losing their mom. This is the part of the story where you imagine all hope being lost. Two very important people have fought this battle, with unbelievable resilience and strength and unfortunately lost. However, all Court could think about was Reggie. They were not prepared to leave their brother here alone, and that determination is what helped Court win the hardest fight of their life. In 2012 they finished treatment!

This is Court’s story, they have been through so much but if you ever meet them you wouldn’t believe it. Court is one of the most spirited people I have ever met. Now as a Nursing major Court has a plan, “ I dedicated my life to the same kids who were sitting where my sister and I both did. I need to become a nurse to do for kids what my nurses did for me. The hospital can get boring. The nights get long. And your friends have to keep on living. It was a very long 10 months, to say the least. I don’t know from where, or why, but I was granted a second chance. With all that I have, I strive to honor my mom’s legacy, serve as an extension of Christina’s life, and make Reggie proud. Post graduation, I’ll use my nursing degree to become a pediatric oncology nurse at CHOP, in the hope of giving all kids that same chance to dream”.

I asked how this experience has shaped them and Court responded by saying, “I realized how important it was to remind every person of their own existence. It’s easy to get lost in the normalcy of everyday. It’s easy to look past some people sometimes because we’re busy existing for ourselves. I realized how whack that was. Pay attention to the beauty in the people around you. Intentionally love yourself. You don’t know when the end is. But none of us do. I learned to live everyday aware of my privilege to exist.”  This response sums up Court perfectly. Someone who does extraordinary things… Court exemplifies an extraordinary person, and I am privileged to be able to share their story with you all.  A lot of who I am stems from having Court as a friend, they have made it their mission to make a difference and that influence rubs off on everyone they meet. I believe Court is a true Super Person.

*Court recently helped start St Joseph’s University’s first Dance Marathon where they raised over $27,000 for Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia*

To learn more about Courts Story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knQM9JqU5BY