Stop Saying These Things to Single Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

It is not uncommon to hear me say that single is my brand. I love being single. It was not until a recent situation that I realized this, but it is true. Being single is who I am, and it is great. But there is one problem- everyone tries to give me advice or ask me questions that make no sense. So here is a list of things that you should not say to someone who is single.

1. You should try lowering your standards.

I will never lower my standards. I have them for a reason- to weed out all the people who will either harm me or will not be compatible with me. The one time I decided to lower my standards, I had a terrible experience, and it still haunts me to this day.

2. You should go out more often to meet people.

If I wanted to go out, I would. I am currently at a time in my life where meeting people is not something I want. I am doing well in school, I’m looking for internships, and I do a lot for the clubs I am in. I really enjoy being busy, so having a significant other on top of that would not make me happy.

3. It always happens when you least expect it.

I absolutely hate when people say this to me. First of all, this is not true for everyone. People see this in romantic comedies and then think it is applicable to real life. I will admit that this does happen sometimes, but most people who are in a relationship wanted to be in one somewhere in their mind. Second, I do not like being caught off guard. I have a plan for my life, and if a significant other fits in there somehow, fine, but it will happen at a time where it is convenient for me to be in a relationship.  

4. Well don’t you get lonely?

I will be the first to admit that sometimes I do get lonely; it typically happens during PMS when I am super sensitive. However, I find fulfillment in what I am passionate about, and that is plenty for me. I have wonderful friends, a great support system, and plenty of goals that give me a happiness no other person could give me right now.

5. Are you gay?

I don’t even know what to say to this one.

I guess people think that because I am a college student I need to be dating, and that I am strange because I do not like anyone. Personally, I find it strange that people put such a huge pressure on young adults to be in a relationship. If a person fits well into another person’s life, that is wonderful and good for them. If there is no room for that person, then that’s great too. People need to start realizing that being single is not horrible and depressing, and stop telling people they are lame and lying if they say they like being single.

Katie N

Kutztown

Hi, I'm Katie! I am a communication studies major here at KU. I enjoy writing about anything that has to do with feminism or random events that happen on campus.