Stop Implementing Rape Into Every. Single. Storyline.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Sex s(c)ells, am I right?

Today, if you watch any television show or movie, there is most likely at least one risqué, sexy scene. Majority of our entertainment sources incorporate sex into their episodes or films because let’s be honest, the human race is addicted to sex or at least the idea of it. But why does it seem that television shows and movies keep pushing a little further, eventually crossing the line, to have sexual assault be implemented into the storyline?

Now obviously, there are television shows that are centered on rape. If you’re watching Law and Order SVU and are triggered or get emotionally distraught, unfortunately you cannot blame the show. SVU, meaning Special Victims Unit, is another way of saying every single episode in this television series is going to be centered on sexual assault crimes.

But, there are so many other shows that incorporate rape into their plot that is simply unnecessary.

For starters, in House of Cards, Claire is a strong woman who is equally as powerful as her husband, Frank Underwood. Her strength towards her career, support towards her husband’s career, and commitment to her (business, not pleasurable) marriage is wonderful to watch – but of course in season 2 we find out that this resilient woman endured a brutal hardship; she was raped. Viewers see a new side to Claire that was never anticipated; we see her break down (to a certain extent). Claire maintains a calm composure while she is exposed to her attacker, but she is now perceived as fragile. She of course returns to her well-mannered yet cold self, but it’s still confusing as to why we even needed to see that fragile side of her to begin with. Perhaps it was to exemplify why she is so strong? No matter what the agenda was, I personally believe it was an unnecessary addition to the storyline.

In 90210, Naomi Clark is the rich, popular girl that you do not want to mess with. As much as you dislike her in season 1 you grow to love her because of course as the series grew, Naomi grew along with it. But she did face a situation that no one should ever have to experience – she was raped. Her teacher took advantage of her and afterwards Naomi felt fragile, powerless, and believed it was all her fault. Yes, she did blame him for sexual assault prior to the attack when nothing actually happened, but that does not give Mr. Cannon the right to commit the deed. That is not an open invitation. Again, here we have a powerful character that is being disempowered by rape. And for what? So viewers can see the character weakened? What’s the point!

It is okay for a woman to be strong and powerful without having such a traumatic backstory.

Since the trailer first premiered on television I was so excited to see Sausage Party. It was full of an amazing cast; there were so many actors and actresses who are downright f*cking hilarious. And being a huge SNL fan, seeing that majority of the cast were past stars on the show, I was ecstatic.

I watched it a few weeks ago, and I am still deeply disturbed by what I saw.

It was known that the movie was going to be inappropriate – but some of the scenes in the movie were simply unnecessary. Any time the douche was on the screen you knew you were going to deal with some type of uncomfortable situation, but I do not understand how the writers and actors did not read this one specific scene and think, “Why does they have to be in the film?”

The douche essentially rapes the juice box.

The douche is emotional over the fact that the top of him is completely bent and broken, and is leaking all his juice out. He finds a juice box struggling because he is leaking too. He asks for help but the douche only acknowledges the fact that he is leaking from his “ding hole.”

Before I continue, please remember that while this movie is animated and they are grocery items they have human qualities in the movie therefore, we can establish them as humans.

Rather than helping the juice box, the douche spreads the juice boxes’ legs wide open and sucks the juice right out of him. The douche even says prior to the assault, “If you f*ucking tell anyone about this, I’m gonna deny it, bro.” The juice box tries to slap him and escape but physically cannot. It’s evident that the juice box was completely against the act… does this situation ring any bells? Um, perhaps rape

Rape culture is in so many television series and movies now and it doesn’t make sense as to why.

The Americans, Scandal, Dexter, Orange is the New Black, The Sopranos, True Detective, Downton Abbey, Game of Thrones, Bates Motel .. the list goes on and on.

By making rape such a potent plot device, it’s taking away the seriousness of the crime. We are already struggling with people taking victims seriously; consistently implementing it into film work is only helping to minimize it.

Hello, I'm Jesse Coffey. I am a Secondary English Education major and Communication Studies minor. I am a member of the Gamma Gamma chapter of Theta Phi Alpha at Kutztown University. I love reading and writing during my spare time. I have the tendency to binge-watch television shows on Netflix in record breaking times. Napping is a personal hobby of mine. I'm obsessed with my dog Bonnie and take way too many pictures of her considering she's prettier than me.