Silencing Their Dedication

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

The Dakota Access Pipeline is a current project that is causing a lot of commotion throughout many regions in the United States. The pipeline is anticipated to be completed this year, and while many have tried to stop the process, it is still being built. It will run through the Dakotas and across the Mississippi River, holding oil within. While this may seem like a good idea, this pipeline will contaminate the clean ground water that many of the people who live in this region use daily. Some of these people include the Native Americans who occupy these lands. Oh, you thought Native people didn’t exist anymore? Well, that’s not true. Many Indigenous people live across these regions and they have repeatedly been kicked out of their lands throughout history. Now we want to push them around again and take away their clean drinking water? Clean water isn’t something we recognize that we are fortunate to have, but now these people must worry about the clarity of their water, wondering if it’s safe to drink.

One person who protested earlier this month was Shailene Woodley. Some of you know her from The Secret Life of an American Teenager while others may know her from The Fault in Our Stars or Divergent. To have someone who is so prominent in today’s pop culture, protesting such a significant cause is truly something to pay attention to. Susan Sarandon was also among the hundred or so people who protested at this rally, but Shailene was arrested for “Criminal Trespassing”. Shailene pleaded not guilty, but still may face 60 days in jail and/or a fine of $3,000 if she’s convicted for this offense. Many people have not heard of the Dakota Access Pipeline until this star was arrested which is a major problem with our society. We are so caught up in our own lives that we don’t even realize that some people are fighting for the right to have clean water. In an article written after her arrest, Shailene believes, “Native Americans are being ignored and it took her, a white actress, getting arrested to bring attention to their cause.” I agree with Shailene’s statement because it’s very accurate. Although Shailene being arrested isn’t positive, she was still able to use her agency to shed light onto this important cause that many people now know about. The people are aware that the Dakota Access Pipeline is being built and destroying clean ground water. I can only hope that more people join the fight for the cause to stop this terrible thing from happening to these Indigenous people and many others.

While being a member of Kutztown University’s Her Campus, I was the Vice President and lead editor. Her Campus afforded me many opportunities to voice my thoughts and opinions freely, and let them be heard by anyone reading. I found Her Campus to be a great tool in helping me advance my future in writing and editing.