Shoot your shot, Face your fears

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

As the new year was approaching, what were you telling yourself? What were your goals? How about the plans that you made for yourself for the year? We are now a month in. Did you do anything you said you would do? If not yet, what are you waiting for? This year is for shooting your shot. Whether the shot is to a basket, a job, a new hobby or even a significant other. Go for it.  You don’t know what the outcome will be until you try. 

I started my new year, shooting my shot by facing my fears. I was terrified of heights. You would never catch me on a rollercoaster or on anything remotely high off of the ground.  On December 31, 2017: I got on my very first plane ride to the west coast. A six-hour plane ride in which I spent majority of the time awake. I was so nervous before the ride, and a little during too. Once the plane was in the air though, I couldn’t believe that I was actually aboard a plane in the sky. Making it through the plane, you’d think  that I would now be fearless but no. I’m still a little scared of heights. Then on the start of the new year, I hiked to the Hollywood sign; and boy is that sign high. At the top, you can see all of LA. It takes a little over two hours to hike. Before we even got to the top, I knew we were getting high as crap. Once we were halfway there it was no stopping and the word afraid couldn’t even exist anymore. The view at the top was amazing, breathtakingly amazing. Although it was a constant mental battle for me to do both of these things, I did them. I took my shot and figured out that my fear of heights was just holding me back from so many amazing things. Not anymore though, ya girl is booking flights all 2018. You won’t catch me saying I can’t do this (or that) because I am afraid of heights. 

If you see it go for it……