This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

To me, March is one of the hardest months to get through as a college student because you’re halfway in and halfway out. It feels as if I’ve been in this semester forever but the end isn’t even close to being done. It’s even worse this year being a senior because the end of the semester marks the end of college and the end of school forever. I felt senioritis when I was in high school, but it doesn’t compare to being a college senior at all. 

Senioritis is basically when you’re almost done with your final year of school, so your main focus is finishing up. Your motivation diminishes and there’s not much of an incentive to keep you going. I’ve been in school for 16 years, so I’m burned out at this point. However, since this is my final semester of school, I want to do well and enjoy it. I want to experience my final classes to the fullest and do all of the fun things I’ve done over the past four years (which is kind of hard to do during a pandemic, but we’ll make it work). My mental health is definitely not on the same wavelength as my goals, so that makes it a bit more difficult. 

I’m trying to battle my loss of motivation with daily goals of what I need to get done, but sometimes it’s exhausting looking at the entire week ahead. My thoughts at this point are “I’m going to graduate anyway, so who cares?” That’s not the best mindset to have, especially with midterms coming up, but I can’t help it sometimes. So when the motivation hits, I have to do as much work as I possibly can before the feeling goes away. Some days are way better than others.   

It makes me feel better to remind myself that I’m not the only one experiencing this. Sometimes I feel like I’m the only one struggling to get work done or find the motivation to even start it, but it’s not true. No matter your year or state of mind at this point of the semester, I wish everyone best of luck on their midterms and powering through the last half of the semester. We got this!

Jessica Garrison is a professional writing major and women's, gender, and sexuality studies minor at Kutztown University.
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur