Selling Your Home Sucks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

It didn’t feel real. It couldn’t be. The couple that did a walkthrough of our home put in an offer immediately after leaving, and my mom and dad also ended up accepting that offer. My house was not mine anymore within a day.

I procrastinated packing up everything for weeks and weeks because I couldn’t quite figure out how to pack away my whole entire life into boxes and then just abandon my home where most of my life had been spent. I was very happy that now that our home was sold my mom and dad’s dream house could then start to begin being built. I was excited for this, I really was, but because of how sentimental of a person I am I couldn’t let this house go no matter how bright the next picture may have been.

How would I never again go and escape into my room and curl up in my bed and read a book? How would we never have a Christmas or Thanksgiving here? I realized I wouldn’t be able to make myself coffee on a Saturday morning and watch television with my mom again, or see my dog run around our yard like a maniac. All these thoughts ran through my head every day and I was so distressed about leaving and never going back.

When the inevitable day did finally roll around and all the furniture was in the storage unit, and all the clothes had been packed up and my dogs’ last toy had been boxed away, it was time to say goodbye. It was emotional, and it was hard to see the once full house that I had lived in every day for the past 14 years now resemble an empty shell.

It took me a while to realize I would not ever go into my home ever again, but like everything does, in time, it got better. I was able to smile when I thought of the new house being built and I realized that although we have moved out the memories will always be mine.  I will move another number of times in my life, and although I don’t think it will ever get easier, I know I will be okay eventually. I hope the now current homeowners have as many happy times living there as I did. I hope it is just as full of happiness and love as it was when my family and I lived there. 

Sabrina Stewart

Kutztown '20

Hi! My name is Sabrina and I am a communication major with a focus in media studies with a minor in a public relations and new media/digital communication here at KU! I am the Events Coordinator for the KU chapter this year! I love fashion, NYC, quotes, book characters, ice cream, exploring, and many many other things. I also tend to drink an excessive amount of lattes.