Scholar of the Week: Dr. Amanda Morris

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Dr. Amanda Morris is an English professor at Kutztown University. She is very involved throughout campus—demonstrating her research and work as well as her work with other professors to reach students and individuals. Dr. Morris has been such an inspiration since I first took a class with her. Her passion and drive for educating her students and getting them involved is seen the moment you meet her. Dr. Morris constantly has a smile on her face and her happiness radiates throughout the room.

I met Dr. Morris when I took a Native American women writers course. I was lenient about the course because I did not know what to expect or what I would specifically be reading and learning. To my surprise, this was the greatest course I have taken at Kutztown University and the information Dr. Morris taught me will be with me for life.

Dr. Morris inspired me so greatly and I like to think this spark was visible to her because she asked me to do an independent study with her for my Women and Gender Studies minor. Of course, I accepted this assignment because it was giving me the opportunity to further my research on Indigenous issues which I may not have been able to do on my own with my busy schedule.

Along with this extra study, Dr. Morris constantly sends me conferences and panels to join to share my work. On March 3, 2017, I attended a panel conference with a KU graduate and another KU student to talk about Indigenous issues and the NoDAPL movement that was occurring at the time we signed up to participate in this conference. As I stood on the side of the room listening to Dr. Morris’s opening spiel, all I could do was smile because her love for this topic and bringing awareness to the cause truly is seen whenever she talks. I like to believe that because Dr. Morris shows such passion for this cause. This is what prompted me to enjoy it too. Her love for wanting to help people and educate her students and others about Native people and the issues they face is moving.

Dr. Amanda Morris has influenced me greatly in the short semester of having her for a professor. I can only hope that other students take classes with her and get to know her better because she truly is one of Kutztown’s finest professor. Her devotion and aspiration to make a greater world shows in her actions and words.

While being a member of Kutztown University’s Her Campus, I was the Vice President and lead editor. Her Campus afforded me many opportunities to voice my thoughts and opinions freely, and let them be heard by anyone reading. I found Her Campus to be a great tool in helping me advance my future in writing and editing.