This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Aside from Bella Hadid’s incredible shoulders that had her absorbing the room with each daring bounce, Rihanna’s Savage x Fenty fashion show was something no one has ever seen before. 

The show was available to watch live on YouTube, and viewers were virtually synced into Rihanna’s masterpiece. The show was a mystical performance made by a woman, for women, capturing the diverse range of women! Women of all sizes, shades, and flexibilities emerged as angels in the mystical world of Fenty

From the opening voice-overs that gave context to what the show would encompass to the angels themselves, the show was nothing less than an elaborate take on the mystical virtues women carry. Painted in the Garden of Rih-Rih, the runway changed into the silver-lining of erotic dreams and science—an intimate place where women can find solace. A glass room was the center of the natural beauty surrounding it, allowing the physical manifestation of what is now womenswear. It may be made in a lab but, it’s for women to embrace their natural assets.  

In the beginning, women started to love themselves in that they became comfortable in the skin they were in, without regard for those watching. Rihanna brought to stage plus-sized models who embraced their curves, pregnant models who channeled their inner queen, and non-binary models who relished in the comfort of their own essence. The theme was to create paradise—the same paradise women imagine themselves in when they put on Fenty bralettes or thongs. 

In the transitional stage of the show, viewers were able to see the layers of paradise. Feeling beautiful in your own skin is extremely important, but having fun in that skin is basically holding hands with that feeling. Models start laughing in their own mania, which established a “girls just wanna have fun” vibe. Within that fun, the enjoyment of freedom turned incredibly sexy. That freedom released the beasts of voguing: wrist twirls, hair flips, and neck whips (which we are all here for).

Finally, Rihanna captured a feeling that many women struggle with. Being sexy while on your period or PMSing. When it rained, it certainly poured, and women held their bodies close to them. Through the thunder, the presence of a male counterpart or any other counterpart seemed irrelevant. Instead, the power of self-love was much more prevalent. Models held themselves tight, while some laid on the backs of other models. Personally, it looked like women being either with themselves or with those who understand the miserable feeling churning in the depths of their uterus. Other models were helping their fellow angels relax by releasing negative thoughts from their mind through a simple form of reiki. 

After the show started to wind down, the angels created a more concrete front by holding hands with those around them. Women felt the energy the models released. United, the show looked to be the beginning of a new body and identity empowerment campaign. No more having models of all the same size, heights, shapes, and colors. It is time to implement real representations of real women. 

Ms. Fenty came out sporting a tight brown midi dress, brown lips, and chic red sunglasses. Simply jeweled with her smile, the queen successfully captured different ways a woman can feel sexy. Savage x Fenty’s pieces were so alluring, the unborn child of Slick Woods, Rihanna’s close friend, needed to see it. That’s right—Woods was actually in labor during the show and gave birth to a prince just 14 hours later, naming him Saphir. 

From the fresh dewy looks of Fenty Beauty, to the powerful messages about women, a resounding“YAS” could be heard being screamed from around the world. Savage x Fenty wasn’t something anyone thought it would be, but we all knew Rihanna would make it unreal. The Kiss It Better singer left us to gather our thoughts on which models are going appear in our dreams tonight, and which set we are going to buy next.

My major is anthropology and my minor is journalism, and with the two I hope to give others a chance to have their voices heard.