Response to “I’m An 18-Year-Old Female And I Will Never Be A Feminist”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

While scrolling through Facebook recently, I came across an article from The Odyssey entitled, “I’m An 18-Year-Old Female And I Will Never Be A Feminist.” I think it is important to explore viewpoints different from your own, so I gave the article a chance. Only instead of being presented with actual discussion points, the article had me in shock by the amount of blatant ignorance. So I decided to take it upon myself to debunk all of “points” made courtesy of Macey Joe Mullens.

According to Macey, men and women cannot be equal. She says this is because the brain is “literally” sex-oriented. Well here’s your reality check, Macey; the human brain does not operate differently among sexes. A person’s smarts and personality traits have to do with genetics and the way they were raised– Oh, and the fact that we are living in a patriarchy. Men are not inherently smarter than women nor are they inherently stronger than women. That entire thought process is completely illogical. Obviously there are some men who are the smarter and stronger than some women. There are also some women who are smarter and stronger than some men. Feminism is not about proving women as “better” than men. It’s intent is for people to realize women are just as capable and sometimes better at certain things than men. Feminists wish to rid of the misconception that causes people to make an assumption based off the person’s gender. A man and woman are equal until proven otherwise.

Apparently becoming a feminist is influenced by peer-pressure. Macey says it’s “cool” to be a feminist. She also says hating Donald Trump is another aspect of being a feminist that is considered cool. As if people could not possibly dislike the man who has bragged about committing sexual assault for reasons other than the desire to “fit-in.” If Macey is not repulsed by the fact Mr. Pussygrabber is in office making desicions about her body, then she has some morals to reevaluate.

Macey makes a statement about men and women needing to assume their designated roles in the household, which is laughable. This is not the 1950s. If it were, than Macey might as well drop out of college because that degree will not be effective in her dinner-making capabilities. If that were the case than Macey’s sole purpose would be to reproduce while her husband would be off as the breadwinner. I suggest Macey remove her apron and leave the stay-at-home dads alone, because if it were not for feminism she would not even be able to express her opinion on this matter. I wonder how Macey Anti-Feminism Joe Mullens would feel if all the things she is able to do because of feminism, like go to college and vote, were revoked.

Macey’s article: https://www.theodysseyonline.com/female-but-im-not-feminist

Aspiring Journalist | Self-Published Author