This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Regret (verb)

1. feel sad, repentant, or disappointed over something that has happened or been done, especially a loss or missed opportunity

We all experience regret, even though we are told that we should not. I have been told countless times that I should not regret anything because it is what I wanted at the time, or because all of those moments led to where I am today. I think regret is normal, I think it is totally OK to regret anything that happens in our lives because in the end we only have one life and we get to choose its course, no one else.

There are plenty of things I regret in my life; relationships, not going to a certain party or event, and even the countless times I canceled plans to stay home alone in bed and I know it is acceptable to feel this way. I wish I had been more outgoing and carefree, I wish I did not let others step all over me or get into toxic relationships and I know this is a normal thing to feel. Why do we associate something that the majority of the population naturally goes through as a bad thing? We limit ourselves from changing who we want to be and what we want to do with our lives by telling the little voice in our head that we should not regret past experiences.

I will admit that many of my experiences in the past have changed my outlook on life, I have matured and grown and I will continue to do so but that does not mean I cannot regret those experiences as well. There have been times where I felt like I did not learn anything, I did not grow or become a better person because of it. For example, sitting at home all day, every day is not something I am proud of and I wished I had enjoyed my high school years while I had them.

In conclusion, I see regret as a normal part of growing up and making yourself who you are. I will never degrade myself for having regrets and I do not think anyone else should ever feel bad about having regrets either.

My name is Victoria and I am a Communications Major here at Kutztown! I love to read and write in my spare time, I enjoy watching horror movies and I have a weird obsession with sharks.