Amelia Kramer-Jean Jacket Bricks Sock Bun Mural Angle
Amelia Kramer / Her Campus

Philadelphia-bred band, Mt. Joy, grows in popularity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Mt. Joy, an indie-rock band with roots in Philadelphia and based in Los Angeles, is in for a big year. The group of five recently announced their upcoming tour which includes their performance at The Fillmore Philadelphia October 4th. 

Members Matt Quin (vocals, guitar), Sam Cooper (guitar), Sotiris Eliopoulos (drums), Jackie Miclau (keyboards), and Michael Byrnes (bass), debuted Mt. Joy in 2016 with their single “Astrovan.” Then, in 2017, they released three more singles titled, “Sheep,” “Cardinal,” and “Silver Lining.” “Silver Lining” eventually crept its way to the top of the Billboard Triple A charts. This lead to the release of their eponymous studio album that the band will begin touring in October. 

The band started with Matt and Sam who went to the same high school in Philly and later reunited in LA to continue their music career. As they added the rest of the bandmates, their success started rising. In 2017, the five members played at Bonnaroo, Newport Folk Festival, and Lollapalooza. They also opened for bands like The Head and the Heart, The Shins, Whitney, and The Revivalists. 

The album title and band name were named after a mountain in Valley Forge National Park, near where Matt and Sam grew up, and about an hour drive from Kutztown. The self-titled album was released on March 2, 2018. In this year, the band performed at Innings Music Festival, Shakey Knees Music Festival, ACL Fest, and Voodoo Fest. They have gone from late night TV to a European tour. They also continued to open for well-known bands like Weezer which helped increase their popularity even more. 

So far in 2019, the band has earned more than 90 million streams on Spotify and announced their album tour. They began performing with Rainbow Kitten Surprise before coming to North America. The band is quickly turning heads with their highly acclaimed album and will most likely not disappoint on tour. Mt. Joy’s upbeat, rootsy, vintage-rock sound is exactly what we need to complete our hazy, stoner, festival-vibe this upcoming summertime, making us look forward to their tour in the fall. 

Sam Geiger

Kutztown '19

Senior professional writing journalism student