This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

If you haven’t already watched Parasite, you need to become its next host. The dark South Korean film delves into the dangerous world of capitalism and greed, highlighting the juxtaposed Kim and Park families. With its magnificent plot twists, sleek style, and deep-rooted symbolism, it’s a movie worth watching. 

The film starts off with a simple task: Ki-woo is offered his educated friend’s job as an English tutor to a wealthy family’s daughter while he studies abroad. Ki-woo comes from a poor, struggling family, and having never went to college, takes up the offer.  Being able to provide for his family is of utmost importance, and simply tutoring seemed like an easy favor, especially since Ki-woo was receiving such a high recommendation from Min.

Slowly, the seemingly innocent Ki-woo is gently coaxed into the start of financial abuse toward the Park family. Gradually, he begins employing his entire family – his sister, mother, and father – into the working for the Parks through his own “high recommendations.” The Kims easily become the predators, eliminating the current maid’s position only so it can be filled by their greed for the Park’s lifestyle. And this is where director Bong Joon-ho elevates the masterpiece of the movie with the first major plot twist. In any other American movie, this would be where the plot ends. Perhaps there would be a death or a small secret illuminated, but Parasite provides a dark twist that I was entirely not expecting. 

After the discovery of the hidden basement, the entire film’s atmosphere changes. The light, beautifully filmed scenes and comic relief fade away to a very dark thriller. The elegance of the film, though, truly is the way the rest of the movie played out. While the plot twist occured halfway through, the aftermath was magnificently done. From juxtaposing classical music over tense scenes to the seed of vengeance thread throughout the end of the movie, Bong Joon-ho directed a very relevant and accurate portrayal of wealth inequality. 

Even after the film ended, I sat with its conclusion for days. Parasite is a film that, looking back, you want to watch again and again; the entire movie itself is a metaphor. Trust me, this is a movie that you’ll want to consume your soul.

Maddie O'Shea

Kutztown '20

Writer, nomad, and avid chai tea lover. Lover of all things fall and fashion-related?