This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

In middle school, I presented myself as the quiet yet peppy student in every class.  However, I was definitely a bit “emo” on the inside.  I was super into poetry, exclusively writing about how life is a meaningless black hole of despair and overly dramatic in an attempt to seem “deep”.  I was also Evanescence’s number one fan, so if you doubted my former emo-ness, that should be proof enough.  (I still sing “Bring Me to Life” unironically.)

Another stereotypically “emo” band that was near and dear to my heart is Paramore.  With the release of their latest album, After Laughter, my inner emo kid has been reawakened, and I’m not mad about it.  Here’s a list of my top five favorite songs from Paramore’s new album:

5. “Told You So”

I’m just going to say it: this song is a bop.  Its techno beats paired with Hayley Williams’ impeccable vocals equals the perfect song to put on your summer road trip playlist.

Favorite lyric: “Throw me into the fire / Throw me in, pull me out again”

4. “Rose-Colored Boy”

A common theme with this album is hints of techno instruments mixed with lots of percussion.  The peppy beat of this song is a nice contrast to the somewhat pessimistic tone of the song; the entire song is discussing how a boy sees nothing but great in the world, which is a vastly unrealistic way to go about life.

Favorite lyric: “Don’t make me laugh, I’ll choke”

3. “Idle Worship”

I absolutely love this song for so many reasons.  Not only are the lyrics so powerful, but Hayley Williams’ vocals put an extra punch to those words. The way her voice becomes raspy as if she’s sing-yelling to prove a point sends chills up my spine.  It captures the essence of teen angst perfectly.

Favorite lyric: “Remember how we used to like ourselves? / What little light that’s left, we need to keep it sacred / I know that you’re afraid to let all the  dark escape you / But we could let the light illuminate these hopeless places”

2. “Fake Happy”

This song is number two both for its lyrics and also for its flexibility.  The song begins with a single guitar and Hayley Williams singing; it has a very raw, emotional feel to it.  However, this leads into (surprise!) an upbeat techno style while maintaining the serious tone in the lyrics from the beginning.  The contrast of party music with slightly depressing lyrics is another common theme throughout this album (and most of Paramore’s older music, too).

Favorite lyric: “If I smile with my teeth / I think I believe me”

1. “26”

This song contrasts a large majority of the songs on the album, but in a good way.  The lyrics reflect themes of optimism and hope, and the music is very minimalistic.  Calm.  Soothing.  It’s a surprisingly refreshing song, and in my opinion, the best on the entire album in every category: lyricism, vocals, meaning, everything.

Favorite lyric: “Hold on to hope if you got it / Don’t let it go for nobody”

Paramore’s  After Laughter is an extraordinary album.  Narrowing my favorites down to just five songs and ranking them was extremely difficult!  Find out which ones are your favorites by giving this great album a listen.  Your inner emo kid will thank you.

Hi! I'm a sophomore Communication Studies major at Kutztown University. Writing has been my passion ever since my first grade teacher praised me for a poem I wrote about a shoo fly pie-loving fly named Guy. (Not Fieri.)