An Open Letter to my Tribe: Scamming Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

To the greatest women I have ever met in my life: thank you for being my rock these past two years.

With graduation fast approaching, I cannot help but feel sentimental and want to look back on the wonderful times we have had together. You three have been the causation of my laughter and the walls that hold me up when I’m at my lowest point. So with this, I thank you.

Kerry,

It’s funny to think we have only been best friends for two years now. It feels like you have been apart of my life from the very beginning. Lisa and I can easily gossip about our hometown drama and you chime in as if you have known them forever too. You also have met both sides of my crazy family. Both sides love to party, so it was clear that you would fit right in. One side might think we are dating considering I brought you home for Easter, but that’s a different story (Maybe they’ll really be convinced now considering the picture I chose to include of us below). There isn’t anyone else I would want to consume a disgusting amount of Dunkin with and snuggle in bed watching High School Musical. Remember all the times at 41 Normal? No? Yeah, me either. There are some iconic memories, still blurry, but definitely iconic. For instance, when we climbed through Hunter’s window and broke into the guy’s  house – we thought it was the funniest thing meanwhile the guys just stared at us. How about the time, okay multiple times, we stole the guy’s food. One night we stole someone’s mac and cheese and another morning I found you on their couch eating one of their boxes of gold fish. Truly amazing. I’m glad I found someone as equally as blunt as I am because our kind is hard to find. I’m so glad Lisa introduced us because my life would be so dull without you, Kerry. Thank you for making the final two years of my college career full of life-altering mistakes and plenty of laughs.

Gabby (Dabby),

To think we were strangers a little over two years ago. We were just two girls at recruitment sitting across from each other at a table – exactly in the same boat – nervous, tired of smiling and talking, and immediately clinging to the one person we knew. Thank god you knew Madison, and I knew Kerry. I’m so grateful that from that moment on we immediately connected. Thank you for making me laugh the hardest I have in my life. Whenever I am with you tears are pouring out of my eyes from laughing – whether it is you pretending you’re injured, dabbing to songs that clearly are not meant for that, or yelling at yourself by saying, “Why am I shouting,” when you get too loud. I’m so thankful you are always down to eat Chinese food with me. I do not think anyone is as addicted to Asian Cuisine’s dumplings as we are. It’s honestly embarrassing because we are known there and are probably the sole reason they are open. I do not think there is anyone else that would dab to the beat of my washing machine in my apartment. You are truly one of a kind, and I’m honored to have the privilege of saying you’re one of my closest friends.

Madison,

Let me begin by saying thank you for enhancing my vocabulary. Whether something great or absolutely horrible happens my immediate response is, “Amazing.” I even say it to my students sometimes. Amazing. I also say scamming way too often. There is no such thing as being a liar. That word is no longer within my vocabulary because there are only scammers. Thank you for belting out every single word of “American Pie” with me. It’s about an eight-minute song and usually people give up halfway through or groan when I play it, but you immediately chimed in. Thank you for wearing leather pants proudly. That courage is inspiring and made me want to buy a pair. I really am going to miss you. I don’t know who else will mock people’s incorrect grammar with me. You are such an amazing (yes, amazing) person. Never change. Continue to be passionate in all that you do and strive for the upmost success because I promise you Madison you will achieve it. Continue to eat hot dogs and be proud of your love for them! You are one of a kind, and I’m so thankful to be able to call you my best friend.

Thank you tribe for being down to fight anyone that says anything remotely negative about New Jersey. Thank you consistently making me laugh the past two years. You guys made these last two years legendary. I can only imagine how dysfunctional and crazy our entire college experience would have been if we knew each other from the very beginning. Thank you for always being down to get food and go to happy hour on Friday’s. Thank you for supporting me in everything that I do and being there for me any hour of any day. It’s going to be extremely hard not seeing you guys every day and whatever time we want, but this isn’t the end of tribe. We will continue to scam, be obnoxious and yell at people who say anything remotely negative about New Jersey.

My grandmother always used to say, “Never say goodbye because goodbye means forever.” This isn’t goodbye, ladies; this is see you later.

I love you all so much.

XOXO Jesse

Hello, I'm Jesse Coffey. I am a Secondary English Education major and Communication Studies minor. I am a member of the Gamma Gamma chapter of Theta Phi Alpha at Kutztown University. I love reading and writing during my spare time. I have the tendency to binge-watch television shows on Netflix in record breaking times. Napping is a personal hobby of mine. I'm obsessed with my dog Bonnie and take way too many pictures of her considering she's prettier than me.