An Open Letter to My Life-Long Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Dear Lisa,

Let me start off by saying thank you so much for being my rock since literally (okay, maybe not literally) day one.

Before I continue though, let me apologize for lying to you and saying that my name was Jessica in kindergarten. I’ll still never understand why I did that, but I guess I was a scammer from the get-go.

It’s safe to say that our friendship is the epitome of goals. We have known each other and been inseparable since we were five years old. We live four houses away from each other at home. We go to the same college. We have blissfully lived together the past two years – meaning we have bought our first “big girl” apartment (using our parent’s money) together!

I cannot thank you enough for all that you have done. Words cannot describe how much you mean to me – and even if I tried to explain, it wouldn’t do justice.

But I can specifically point out what I am most grateful for – what you have given me that has allowed me to have such a happy life and beautiful friendship to brag about:

You have given me laughter to the point where my stomach is cramping up and I am gasping for air. Whether it’s taking a professional photo-shoot at Picture People or allowing me to take videos of you on Snapchat in slow motion, I’m always wiping happy tears off of my face, grabbing my stomach because of the pain from laughing so hard.

You have given me a strong support system. I know I can rely on you anytime, any day. I know that I can rely on you to listen to me as I vent about the stresses that come along with student teaching, how I’m annoyed that I’m out of mac and cheese, or how I’m upset over a dumb guy (happens rarely, but it sure as hell happens). You have been listening to my problems since we originally met, and I cannot thank you enough for that.

Going off of that, you have given me someone I can trust no matter how bad the secret is. I can rely on you to keep all of my secrets no matter how vulgar, mean, hilarious, or traumatizing – and you’ve definitely heard secrets within all of those categories. It’s funny because even when someone tells me, “You cannot tell anyone,” I still tell you. It’s not that I’m not trustworthy, it’s just I trust you so much and have to tell you everything. What’s even better is sometimes people say to me, “You cannot tell anyone, but it’s okay if you tell Lisa.” That one’s my favorite because they already know I tell you everything.

You have given me a dependable food-partner. Whether it’s 10am or 2am, I can always rely on you to get food with me. Whether it’s walking across the street to Bagel Bar or driving an hour to the King of Prussia mall for cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory, I know you’ll be down for the trip. (We do have a serious addiction to Wawa though, and I believe we should seek professional help, but that’s a discussion for another day and article)

You have given me lifelong memories. We aren’t one of those friendships where we lie and say we have been friends forever – we literally have. I have about 16 years of amazing, legendary memories with you (and still counting) that I will treasure for all of my life.

Having you as my best friend is an honor. I feel immensely blessed to be able to tell people Lisa Eccleston is my best friend. You are truly one of a kind, Lisa, and I cannot thank you enough for being you and dealing with me.

Love always,

(Jessica ) Jesse

Hello, I'm Jesse Coffey. I am a Secondary English Education major and Communication Studies minor. I am a member of the Gamma Gamma chapter of Theta Phi Alpha at Kutztown University. I love reading and writing during my spare time. I have the tendency to binge-watch television shows on Netflix in record breaking times. Napping is a personal hobby of mine. I'm obsessed with my dog Bonnie and take way too many pictures of her considering she's prettier than me.