This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

It’s November now, which is crazy because I could have sworn yesterday was August. Now it’s cold. People were leaving in winter coats. That’s not okay because my winter coat is at home and I don’t want it to be that cold yet. Although, I’m torn. See, I love warmer weather and fall weather at school is the best because I can wear all of my hoodies, but I want it to get cold because one of my favorite things every year is the holiday season. Thanksgiving is amazing because of the food. Also, I love just having my family get together. It’s nice to eat and enjoy good company. Plus, after Thanksgiving is the best freaking holiday! Christmas Eve! Yup, that’s right, Christmas Eve will always be better than Christmas Day. Every Christmas Eve my mom’s side of the family gets together at one of my uncles’ house and it’s just always a great day. I love the holiday season. I might love the Christmas season a bit too much because I’ve been singing Christmas songs since August. Someone was recently comparing me to a Walmart or Dollar Tree store because it’s way before Halloween when half of the store is ready for Christmas. However, I’m worse than that. I’m ready for Christmas any day of the year. One thing I always do is purposefully have my Bitmoji wear a Santa hat all year round. Sometimes I want to change it during baseball season, but I’m worried I won’t be able to find the Santa hat when it’s off season. Also, I’m lazy.

I know Christmas season can be an extreme low for a lot of people around the world. It’s hard to be excited for the holidays when you don’t have someone special to celebrate it with. I don’t have that special someone, but to me I don’t celebrate Christmas for the religious purpose. I celebrate it for family. Christmas is a day to be happy for my family. It’s kind of like Thanksgiving, but even more food and even more family celebrating with you. I know that there are people out there who don’t get along with their family, but they should look at their friends and their people. A good way to know who’s your family is by figuring out who you want to tell when something happens in your life. Family doesn’t always mean who you’re related to. If you are having a low holiday season, tell your family. I like to think I have multiple families. I have my family-family (The ones I’m related to), my camp family, and my school family. It’s okay if you don’t want to celebrate your holidays with your relatives. You should celebrate the holidays with the people that make you happy. However, I have to be a tad of a hypocrite because my family can’t do that. There is a baby in the family now, my brother is engaged, and I just miss them all too much for them not to celebrate Christmas Eve with everyone. However, on Christmas Day, they can celebrate it with whomever they’d like. On Christmas Eve, they can’t do that unless they want to continue celebrating it they way we have my entire life. I hope everyone has a great holiday season and that they celebrate it with their people. 

Jeri Fries

Kutztown '20

Jeri Fries is an Art Education in Alternative Settings Major at Kutztown University. She love dogs, yarn, Gilmore Girls, sarcasm, her family and so many other things in this world! She has always loved to write and is very thankful for this opportunity to share her words.