This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

With every new beginning, whether it be a new year or a school semester, people feel a pressure or need to reinvent themselves. Usually they will do this by promising themselves that they will quit a bad habit or begin a good habit or establish goals they wish to fulfill. However, more often than not these are usually forgotten or abandoned within a couple of weeks or months. Why does this happen so often when most people make similar types of goals? Some really common goals that I have heard of are people planning to go to the gym and lose weight or eat healthier or to achieve higher grades. The best way to achieve any goal is to develop the steps that you need to get there. After all, you can’t get from point A to point B without a route.

People who say they would like to start at the gym usually do and they’ll go for a few days, but then quit. They make the mistake of not setting aside days and times in their schedule that they can dedicate to going or if they’re beginners they don’t make the effort of getting a trainer or developing a fitness routine so as not to get overwhelmed.

Partaking in diets is another goal that many don’t continue for long. One mistake I have noticed people make is getting on extremely strict diets that are unnecessary for the average person. One such example are liquid diets which don’t yield long-term results because any weight lost during a cleanse like that will be gained back. Sometimes, diets are seen as extremely complicated and restrictive, but if seen as a lifestyle a diet only needs to consist of fresh, home-cooked meals without excessive amounts of oils, fats, sugar or salt.

Finally, there is the goal of every student: to get good/better grades. Although a goal like this seems especially simple since it is already a part of a student’s life, it can be difficult to manage your energy into multiple places like classes, extracurriculars, jobs, etc.

In the end, it is important to note that the fastest way to failure is an excuse. Whether it be lack of time, money or energy just one excuse is needed. At the same time, anything can be done through research, planning and time management. Accomplishing goals is an important part of character development. The sense of accomplishment a person gains gives them confidence and advances them in life whether mentally, physically or emotionally, as opposed to the disappointment and insecurity they feel concerning their capabilities when faced with failure. Every new beginning is a chance to develop and stimulate your life so remember to take advantage.

Cynthia Diaz

Kutztown '20

Cynthia Diaz is currently an English major at Kutztown University.