This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

When it comes to romantic comedies, people either love them or hate them. But, sometimes, such a great Rom-Com comes around that captures everyone’s attention and usually everyone’s heart: think The HolidayHow to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, and anything with Jennifer Lopez in it. The early 2000s was the last time countless great Rom-Coms were produced–until now, and that is all thanks to Netflix. 

Multiple Netflix Original Rom-Coms were released this past summer, and each one took over the Internet and made viewers fall in love with the idea of love once again. You could not go on Twitter for weeks following their release dates without seeing compatibility quizzes for the leading man and lists of the best movie moments. All these movies have become instant classics and for good reason.

The Kissing Booth 

The Kissing Booth was the first movie to be released, hitting Netflix in May 2018. Originally a novel written on the online platform Wattpad, The Kissing Booth is a classic best-friend’s-brother high school love story that centers around Elle and Noah. Elle and Lee are best friends, and Noah is Lee’s older brother. All three grew up like family, until high school rolled around, and Noah becomes over-protective of Elle…and not in a brotherly way. Before either one of them knew it, they were in a secret relationship, trying desperately to keep their relationship away from Lee. The Kissing Booth is a cliché coming of age story with some cringe-worthy moments, but that is the beauty of it. It is a feel good, happy, high-school drama with cute brothers and a strong independent female lead where friendship is everything. 80s Rom-Com legend Molly Ringwald also makes a cameo, which only adds to the greatness of the movie. 

The storyline is a classic and has been used so many times throughout countless novels, but The Kissing Booth executed it perfectly. The casting was spot on, the glam of LA life always intrigues people, and after watching the movie, everyone wished their high school career went like Elle’s. Everyone was able to connect to the movie in some way, and that is why it is so popular. The Kissing Booth is the type of movie that will be re-watched by people many times, and that is why it is just the beginning of the Rom-Com revival. 

Set It Up

There is nothing better than falling in love in New York City, and that is exactly what happens to Harper and Charlie in Netflix’s next original Rom-Com, Set It Up. This movie is about finding a path and navigating adult life while being stuck in a dead-end, time consuming, assistant job for an incredibly intense boss. Harper and Charlie set up their overbearing bosses to get their lives back, and instead, they end up falling in love with one another. Set It Up follows the same idea of the classic Lindsey Lohan movie The Parent Trap (Charlie even references it in the movie). 

This movie is perfectly relatable for young adults beginning their careers. Finding your soul mate in adventurous NYC is every person’s dream, and viewers are able to live vicariously through Harper and Charlie. Set It Up reflects many of the early 2000s Rom-Coms. It is just another summer smash hit for Netflix and solidifies the fact that Netflix is bringing good Rom-Coms back for everyone to enjoy. 

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before

By far, the Netflix Original movie that has been the most popular is To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before. Based off of the novel by Jenny Han, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before follows the life 16-year-old Lara Jean after her five, secret love letters were sent to her five past crushes, one of them being to her older sister’s ex-boyfriend Josh. With the help of a fake relationship with one of the other love letter recipients, Peter Kavinsky, Lara Jean made it her mission to not let her sister know about her love letter to Josh. Throughout the fake relationship, Peter and Lara Jean went from helping one another achieve what they wanted to being in one of the cutest relationships their high school has ever seen. 

Lara Jean is so relatable to the average girl. She is a quiet, loner, kind of family girl, and that is what people love about her. Her great style and sarcastic, rambling awkwardness is why people want to be her. Well, that, and the fact that Peter Kavinsky is her “fake” boyfriend. Peter Kavinsky completely took over the hearts of everyone by initiating all of the best moments in the movie with his cute gestures (ahem, the hot tub scene), “whoa”s, and the way he is completely smitten by Lara Jean.

The characters capture viewers’ envious hearts, making them wish their high school careers were just like theirs. To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before also addresses real issues, such as those surrounding love, dating, family, and loss. These issues are issues everyone has dealt with at some point in their lives. To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before not only confirms the fact that Rom-Coms are making a comeback, but this movie has changed the messages Rom-Coms give to reflect the way people experience, love, and live their lives today. 

Courtney Morstatt is a Professional Writing student at Kutztown University.